Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Didi anyone see the sale of this car on Barrett Jackson?

Rumor has it that it sold for only 20k?!?!?!??!?! OK granted, it's nothing ground breaking and rather plain for a restomod but it sure looks damn clean for such an uncommon model. I don't know, kinda has me scared about my end dollar value if it's true.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/florida/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=184663

:hang:

Well no wonder! Its a stinkin convertible! Bahumbug. But seriously, It does look kind of plain jane. However i thought all cars went for 3x there value at barret jackson auctions?

So your car is worth about as much as a coupe right pak?

Well no wonder! Its a stinkin convertible! Bahumbug. But seriously, It does look kind of plain jane. However i thought all cars went for 3x there value at barret jackson auctions?

So your car is worth about as much as a coupe right pak?

Well, at the moment it was delclared totaled, yeah, I'd say that's a fair comparison, maybe a few dollars more.:stuart:

Exactly my point though, about the 3X more comment. Plain or not, if it is as clean as it looks then it probably cost more than that to do.

i saw that go across the block. it went pretty late at night and was very plain. i mean outwardly the car is is even plainer than a stocker. other than the wheels and cowl hood you have no real visual clues that anything at all has been done to it (of course all of us 69 owners will notice the lack of quarter vent ornamentation). underhood was a stock fuelie 5.0 that they said had low mileage when it was instaled in the car.

overall i didn't really feel like it was a barret-jackson type of car. not enough flash for a modified car and not stock enough for a resto. that's why i think it didn't bring much money. i also think the market is a little soft right now as well, but not that bad. overall i think that car would have brought more money if they had sold it on ebay

...was very plain. i mean outwardly the car is is even plainer than a stocker. ..... not enough flash for a modified car and not stock enough for a resto. that's why i think it didn't bring much money.

You're probably right.

Unfortunately, If the guy would have just painted it silver with black stripes and put a bunch of eleanor crap on it, he might have gotten 50K. :blink:

Seem a shame, alot was done to the car but I think the mods detract from the look of the car not add to it in this case. Looks to plane. I also have a red 69 convertable and when I am done with the resto I am sure it will be worth more than 20k - but I am not selling it anyway. Your right a different paint scheme would have made all the difference. They shaved off the mustang ornimants and put a one color paint job on it. Dullllll....Its a real shame they did do alot to the car. Someone got a real deal. Even two fat racing stripes down the hood would have added 5k easy.......

I'm sure that car cost more to build then the reported $20k selling price. It sounds like a great driver car mechanically, but as said it really needed something to "pop" out at you. A GT treatment would have been nice and still subtle. The interior could use some help too, a nice deluxe setup with the woodgrain and chrome would really add some much needed flash.

yeah a car like that really needs some kind of graphic on it, hell even the blackout hood and taillight panels would have probably put it closer to 30k or a white 70 mach hood stripe and some white gt rocker stripes would have put it more in the hunt for the big bucks. and definitely the interior needed more as well. i agree on the woodgrain but even taking it a step further and peel the woodgrain off and paint those surfaces red, would have looked good as well

yeah a car like that really needs some kind of graphic on it, hell even the blackout hood and taillight panels would have probably put it closer to 30k or a white 70 mach hood stripe and some white gt rocker stripes would have put it more in the hunt for the big bucks. and definitely the interior needed more as well. i agree on the woodgrain but even taking it a step further and peel the woodgrain off and paint those surfaces red, would have looked good as well

Alot of opportunitites missed indeed. I think they tried to rely on making a quick buck and doing minimal and expecting the Barretts folk to get into one of those ridiculous "I've got to have it" bidding wars. The more I look at it the more I think they tried to do a budget version of the Comp Cams car and they obviously failed. The price is in line with the average retail of a 20 footer though, so that is a bit of a slap in the face.

It really scared me a tad at first but I'm not re-building mine for resale or profit anyway and I know that in the end I won't be lacking in the graphic or styling cue department either, so I'll just have to wait and see what the appraisal comes in at I guess.

Looks like the car is for sale in Annapolis MD. I don't live too far away so I may take a ride down.

http://www.flemingsultimategarage.com/galleria_detailed.php?id=C088&nhs=10&make=&cat=&mt3=New_Arrival

Wow, so they bought it for 20k and are trying to turn it around for 40k now, geez. While I am happier in general to see that price, somone's getting milked in the end.