Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mustangmanny

Spark plugs!!

Im planing on changing my plugs this weekend. Any sugestions on which ones you guys are satisfied with to run in my 351w with edelbrock heads? Right now I have autolights in there. Maybe there is somthing beter out there. Thanks for any help,

Manny:001_smile:

I run the Autolites that AFR suggests on their website, since the car doesn't see many miles they work just fine. Check the edelbrock site or your paperwork and see what ranges they suggest. More than likely they took the guessing out for you.

Or pull one out and go ask the auto parts store what the NGK equivalent is. Those are good plugs as well.

I was just talking about this with the shop that works on my commercial trucks, they also work on our personal vehicles and the mechanic said that unless your pushing over 600 horses that you might as well just use standard plugs. They typically stay with the type originally installed by the factory on street driven vehicles, said to stay away from the platinum plugs as well because they don't run hot enough and foul easier. I'm also running the 351w and tried the platinums before, didn't improve performance, just cost more money. I will be pushing around 425-450 hp when its done and at this time I plan on just using autolites myself.

The last time I changed the plugs which was 5 years ago (4,000mi ago) I used Bosch Platinums and I have noticed no issues what so ever, can't say where as I attribute any performance increase with them either though as I also converted to Pertronix at the same time.

The difference in price from best to worse plug is really pretty nominal anyway, just stay away from the duel tip ones and get the right BF number and just about anything will be OK.