Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Topless69GT

Back in a 69

I have owned multiple mustangs since the mid 1980's. My very first was a 69 Convertible. I sold this car back in 1987 and have wanted a 69 ever since but the right car never came a long at the right time. It all changed today! I bought a rust free west coast 1969 GT Convertible. That's a big deal when you live in the heart of the rust belt! I could not be happier.

It has Deluxe Interior, A/C, Power top and is a factory GT (Marti Report).

The car will receive a full restoration. Now how am I going to break this to the Wife!!! Any suggestions or should I just give her half my 401K right now and start the child support payments?

topless69GT

Avon, IN

Glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you got a good one, at a good price? Heh, I'm sure your wife will be fine with it :sweatdrop: , just find something you can use against her first.

Well in my case we already owned the car itself, but when I started buying parts for it to upgrade and she wondered why, I just explained that I was entering my "mid-life crisis" and figured I could either spend the money on a younger woman or on a car we both could enjoy. Thus in a way I was really spending the money on her since she would never get around to fixing the car on her own and it would continue to fall into disrepair, she wouldn't be able to drive and enjoy it, she would continue to feel guilty about having it sit in the garage wondering if we should sell it (yeah like I would let THAT happen). Her only concern at that point was that I would make it too much of a "hot-rod" for her to drive, but I assured her that she would be able to drive it as I would hide the nitrous tanks where she couldn't find them and also hide the button where she wouldn't accidently use it. Of course I also bought her an '05 GT which helped somewhat:sneaky2:

Do what I'm trying to do - buy the wife a 69 convertible! My 1st car when I was 16 was a 69 conv. with a 200cid given to me by my grandmother. 49k on a 100% original stang. Gave it back when I bought my 2nd car - 69 Mach1 with a 351W. Sorry to say I sold the Mach1 and my grandmother sold the conv. when my grandfather passed away. 2 stupid mistakes on my part since this was 1982 and each was worth only a couple of 1000.

Now I've bought my 69 Mach1 to stay so I'm shopping for a 69 conv.

Good luck with the conv. I just loved mine - fun to drive around at night with the top down in the summer. A real liberating feeling....

Oh and tell her it IS the 401K. There's a '70 426hemi Cuda down the road - his license plate is MY401K

Nice, I saw that on ebay right after it got listed. Seems to be solid, and somewhat rare. I'm a big believer in begging forgiveness rather than asking permission. At least you've got it!

Thanks for all the advice. I broke the news to her and she was totally OK with it. She knew I had ads in Hemmings and Mustang Times looking for this car. All is well. I have attached a photo of the Marti Report. I do not have the original yet.

I am happy with the numbers. The dilema is do I paint the car the original Royal Maroon with Black top and GT Stripe or do I paint it acapulco blue with White top, interior and stripe? My favorite color combo is the blue and white but the roayl maroon could look good to.

Indeed, for values sake going original is the way to go. But in some of our cases where our cars arent rare and came with 200 straight sixes, restomod is the way to go for us.

But in all honesty you have to figure out what you want the car for and what would make the most sense to you. And what would make you the happiest. Which probably leans more towards at least a different paint job, which could always be repainted later to the original. Decisions.. Decisions..

More than I wanted to. I paid $10,000 for the car. I had been looking at totally rusted pieces of crap for $3500 to $6500 that were missing critical pieces. I figured I would be money ahead by spending more on the front end for a car that was solid and all the pieces were present. The GT portion was a must for me just for future value. A friend of mine restores cars and does an awesome job. He is going to do this car for me and hopefully give me a good deal. FYI he has a 66 GT350 Clone that he is wrapping up this spring that is incredible. It is for sale. I attached a photo of my first Mustang (pic form 1986). That is the reason why I love the 69 Convertible so much. That car was great. Ok it really was kind of a piece of crap but I thought it was cool in 86. The mud flaps were very short lived. They were removed within the first few days I owned the car.

I am happy with the numbers. The dilema is do I paint the car the original Royal Maroon with Black top and GT Stripe or do I paint it acapulco blue with White top, interior and stripe? My favorite color combo is the blue and white but the roayl maroon could look good to.

I'm having the same dilema. I'm not a "red" guy, it garners too much attention. I'd prefer a nice dark blue or black.

If you intend on hanging onto the car for a long time, paint it your color. Then 10 years from now when it needs a repaint you can think again about if you're going to hang on to it or sell it. If you plan to sell, go back to original.

I am up by fort Wayne. I have had mine since late 70 early 71. The smokey years... Have had it stored in Deb's Mom's barn dry except for sweat in the climate changes. That does a toll over time.

During the summer months we would run into car shows at the local town fairs and she would say "why don't you get that thing out of the barn and fix the damned thing up". I would say " it's not losing any value setting there". Then she would say " it's like an old girlfriend, you don't want it but you don't want anyone else to have it".

Kind of hard to deal with that logic so I asked a retiree last August if he wanted the job and he said yes and the next day he had the car at his place. Then she said "what made you decide to do that so quickly"?

I may have lost the battle with her logic but I now have a 69 mach that was taken down to bare metal and is now the Silver Jade Metallic it started out as. I was never fond of the color over the years but after researching other colors decided that since there are few out there we should go back to it. I am now Ok with it...... Ah the 60's and 70's.... The colors.......

My younger brother is happy we made this decision. he has fond memories of the car.

Now the interior....... I need to keep focused. Headliner and seat cover are the next project........

Thats not entirely true tcmeyers. We have what we call the "Mustang Gallery" where you can upload your pictures directly to this website for anyone to view. Heres a walk-through i wrote:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=308

Also you can simply "attatch" a photo to your posts/messages on here. If you look just below the "Reply to Thread" box when replying to a message you will see another box that says "Additional Options", and finally a button that says "manage attatchments". If you click that button a pop up window will appear and you can browse your pc for the image by clicking "browse" and then finally selecting the image and clicking "open". Once you have found it hit the upload button. And then you can scroll down on the same pop up window and hit close window. Then submit reply, and boom your image will appear at the end of your message just like this.