Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FMACHI

Indicator/hazard problem

Few days ago my indicators stopped working. Over the last seven months I've had absolutely no problems. I switched my hazards on, and every globe (all 10) flashed. Two nights ago, my hazards stopped working properly, only the elft half flashed and very dull.

Going by a mechanic freinds advice, I changed the flash can. Now my hazards work better than ever, but I still have no indicators. Are there two cans on a 69 Mach, and if so, where is the second can.

There is one flasher can for the hazards and one flasher can for the turnsignals. Once should be on the left side of the radio and the other on the right side of the radio, attached to a bracket on the lower metal dash. You'd have to lay on your back to see them, unless you have the dash pad and clusters removed.

OK. Lost hazards for a while so, both flash cans have been changed and upgraded to electric cans??? Thought they were all the same.

Anyway, hazards work fantastic again. Left indicator works spot on aswell, but the right is a bitch. The rear right works perfect, but the fronts don't even light up. Don't forget, all indicators work when using hazards.

I should mention that the reverse lights now flash for indicators, and the front parkers and front side markers now are indicators.

Please help this lost soul.

Hmmm, that's bizarre. Since things did work before we can likely rule out incorrect wiring so the only thing I can think of is maybe a short in your signal CAM behind the steering wheel?!?!??!?!?!? If that is the culprit DO NOT get the reapir kit, just spend a little extra and buy a new one.

I don't believe the electric ones should be used. I may be incorrect on that though. The ones i've replaced mine with look the same, in a round aluminum case. The electric ones are sometimes in a black plastic case and are made for newer cars. When my turnsignal switch in the column went bad, the entire right side of the car didn't work when the indicators were turned on.

After all that trouble, rechecked all the wiring a thrid time, and I don't understand how I missed this. The wiring that comes from the hood scoop indicator slipped out of the clip, touched the exhaust, and started earthing against the 'strut brace'. Only the front right was affeted.

I only realized when I had the indicetors going, popped the bonnet and all of a sudden they started to work. It's all good now.

Thanx for the help along the way guys.