Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FMACHI

Whats your favorite part of '69 or '70

I agree too, I think the 69-70 models are the best looking Mustangs ever. the four headlights on a 69 and the big agressive grill that comes to a point at the front just make it look like its about to eat other cars for breakfast. also the bigger C-pillar on the coupe just gives it a much more beefed up look than the earlier models.

i like the fact they all look so streamlined like a jet plane or something especially with all the scoops and stuff, the 67-68 cars are somewhat like that but not as much as the 69-70 cars and the 65-66 cars look more like the falcons they were based on to me.

Definitely the streamline shape and the curves of the car. These cars look so mean even without being lowered. You can't say that about the earlier cars IMO. The dash pretty much inspired the 94-04 mustang's dash if you couldn't tell. Chip Foose said it best something to the fact that there isn't much modifications that he could do to these 69/70 mustangs to make them look better. They were pretty much perfected. The cars aren't all square and box looking like the earlier cars either. All the lines pretty much flow together.

I think for me it has always been the fact that this was the first year that Mustang truly entered the Muscle car world and left behind the humble secertary pony car that it started out as. Sure folks have made the older cars into muscle and they started to offer the packages at the end of 68' but most of that recognition is due to the Muscle that Shelby brought to the image. Im my opinion this was the first year that truly started to stray from the look that is so much more common to the prior 4 years, not forgetting its roots but defintly being it's own too, dropping the famous horse and corral for a more Shelby influenced tri bar grill right out of the gate, screaming back to known performance right from the first styling cue. Probabaly the single most unique body design of any year when compared to all the siblings, truly one of a kind.

I'd have to echo all of the above, the sharklike front end and the hood overhang. I like it better than the 69-70 Shelbys actually.

I love the taillights on the '70, though. The deep-set look almost make them look like exhaust vents or something . . . and I like that they're bigger than on previous models.

I do think the '69 outer headlights and inset high beams are the best front end of any Mustang ever . . .

side scoops and the shaker hood.... dual headlights and fat ass rear...

gotta love it all.

Was watching "the greatest muscle car ever show" (they picked the 64 GTO because it was the 1st packaged muscle car) but when they got to the Mustangs just about every one of the ford guys said the 69 Mach1 was the best body style and the R code 69 Mach1 was their favorite muscle car. I was surprised (but agreed) - thought they would have selected a Shelby...

I just am fascinated by the long roof line, the length of the car, the width of that arse and that famous long bonnet. I don't think I can see the difference from 64-68 or 71-76 as I can with the 69 and 70. They're both like twins, same body same build, just a different grill, side vents and the rear lights.

Here's my favourite angle on my 69.

I just am fascinated by the long roof line, the length of the car, the width of that arse and that famous long bonnet. I don't think I can see the difference from 64-68 or 71-76 as I can with the 69 and 70. They're both like twins, same body same build, just a different grill, side vents and the rear lights.

you're an ass man i can tell ;)

If you can't tell the difference between 71 - 76 boy have I got a lead on a nice 76 that I'll gladly sell you at 71 pricing.

If you can't tell the difference between 71 - 76 boy have I got a lead on a nice 76 that I'll gladly sell you at 71 pricing.

I was never into the post '70 stangs. I'll have a look at them, but I'm just not taken to them as much. We don't have many post '68 stangs on the road here. Most popular are the '65s, but you don't see that that often anymore. 2nd is the '67ish ELANOR mooks. I've heard on the grape vine that there's a 65 FB done up like ELANOR. It apparantly looks disgusting.

I was never into the post '70 stangs. I'll have a look at them, but I'm just not taken to them as much. We don't have many post '68 stangs on the road here. Most popular are the '65s, but you don't see that that often anymore. 2nd is the '67ish ELANOR mooks. I've heard on the grape vine that there's a 65 FB done up like ELANOR. It apparantly looks disgusting.

I hear ya, I was just busting on ya since technically 71' was a Moosetang (the biggest ever) and 76' was more of a pinto. That's like saying you can't tell Abbott form Costello. Gosh when I was in highschool all I could do was dream about owning a muscle car so I had to live vicariously through others. I could have told you the make, model and year (+/- 1) from practically a mile away on any American made car from the 30's to the 80's.

the grille and headlights are bad, the taillights are bad, but look at those from the side or from a quarter view, hopefully in a bright yellow, green, red, blue - and they're just so over the top that it's hard to take your eyes off of them. They look made for high speed runs.

But they don't have the balance and style of the '69-70 mach, it's true. The look is a little more Hot Wheels . . . the interior is especially better on the '69-70.