Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FMACHI

Widest mags and tyres?

What are the widest mags and tyres I can fit on the Mach?

I would like 15X8 with 235/60/15s n the front and 15X10 with 295/50/15(or similar) on the rear. I would like to drop the car 1" to 1 1/2" all round.

Does this pose any problems with guard clearance or steering?? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Not sure about the 295 for clearance with the springs. I have 15x7 225/70/15 in front and 275/60/15 on 15x8 in the rear. The back is about an inch from the springs. My car is stock height with rear air shocks. I did catch one rear tire on the chrome edge of the fender well on a turn and bump in the road. No damage just a small cut in the tire. I put 20lb more into the shocks and so far no other problems.

The 60 in the front and 50 series in the rear will probably work to off set the lowered body. Watch your clearance with the wells....

with the right backspacing on the wheels and the lips rolled the 295/50-15 will fit just fine. the only thing to worry about is to make sure you have new or really good springs out back or you might get some rubbing at the top of the inner fenderwells.

I'm dropped to where the tire is almost level with the top of the fender in front, and stock (sagged 35 year old spring) height in the rear. 245f, 275r, on 17" wheels.

Check the dodgestang chart - you might find tire clearance issues up front with a 245 or 255/15 on your UCA.

On the rear, with 275 or 295, if you plan to corner, new stiff leafs might be in order or (what I plan to do) get in on the preorder of this little puppy:

http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evmCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=38&zenid=f39ef76b433c7042fcfae22e4225250e

that should limit side to side travel.

I'm currently running 235/60/14s all round. Getting a pair of 15X7 with 225/60/14. Should my factory tyre be a 225/70/14. Theres quite a difference in the two.

How many of the fastback guys are running 15X8 Magnum 500s with 275s on the back. Any problems with tyre/mag relation.

Not sure about the 295 for clearance with the springs. I have 15x7 225/70/15 in front and 275/60/15 on 15x8 in the rear. The back is about an inch from the springs. My car is stock height with rear air shocks. I did catch one rear tire on the chrome edge of the fender well on a turn and bump in the road. No damage just a small cut in the tire. I put 20lb more into the shocks and so far no other problems.

The 60 in the front and 50 series in the rear will probably work to off set the lowered body. Watch your clearance with the wells....

You're gonna crack the piss out of your shock towers with those air shocks. I'd get them off ASAP unless you don't mind changing out shock towers. The more you raise the rear with them the more load the shock tower is applied. FYI

You're gonna crack the piss out of your shock towers with those air shocks. I'd get them off ASAP unless you don't mind changing out shock towers. The more you raise the rear with them the more load the shock tower is applied. FYI

i can vouch for this. i now have a front strut rod washer welded in place on the right rear upper shock mount because of the air shocks i put on it in high school. i went down a washboarded dirt road and poked the air shock right through the tower. not a pleasant experience driving home 40 miles with the fenders sitting on the tires. invest in new springs asap, or at least a set of shackles and shock extensions until you can afford new springs. you won't regret it, but you will regret busting a shock tower

I'm currently running 235/60/14s all round. Getting a pair of 15X7 with 225/60/14. Should my factory tyre be a 225/70/14. Theres quite a difference in the two.

How many of the fastback guys are running 15X8 Magnum 500s with 275s on the back. Any problems with tyre/mag relation.

Since 225/60/14s will not fit on a 15 inch rim, I'm assuming that's a typo.

I think you'll be disappointed with 225/60/15s all around since they'll look...well..puny! On the other hand, 70 series tires were all the rage in 1978. We've moved on.

Don't be a girly man, consider stepping up to 245/60/15s.

What are the widest mags and tyres I can fit on the Mach?

I would like 15X8 with 235/60/15s n the front and 15X10 with 295/50/15(or similar) on the rear. I would like to drop the car 1" to 1 1/2" all round.

Does this pose any problems with guard clearance or steering?? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I just noticed you were from Australia. That's pretty cool.

If you can order custom backspacing for the rear 15 x 8s, you're set. You can then easily fit 275s.

If you can't order custom backspacing, you can fit a 255/60/15 with 4.25 - 4.5 inches of backspacing. By the way, 4.5 inches of backspacing is better than 4.25.

To fit a 275 in the rear, go with 4.5 - 5.0 inches of backspacing.

Since 225/60/14s will not fit on a 15 inch rim, I'm assuming that's a typo.

Yes that was a typo, i meant 225/60/15 on a pair of 15X7. Would like 235 or 245 for the front, but not sure if they'll rub.

I think you'll be disappointed with 225/60/15s all around since they'll look...well..puny! On the other hand, 70 series tires were all the rage in 1978. We've moved on.

Have no intention on putting anything smaller than a 265 on the rear. But I wanna try keep the same overall circumference of the factory tyre to avoid speedo error.

Check out this site, ignore the Miata (Mazda) bit, its quite helpful if you know factory tyre sizes.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

hope the link works.

Don't forget, it's general, not all tyre manufacturers use same tread depths, so it affects overall circumference. Your tyre dealer should be able to give you exact circumferences of the tyre you upgrade to, if you care.