Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detector

Guess the Stang by vague description

OK, I've been chasing a lead for quite awhile now and finally got a response by phone from the wife. They no longer own the mustang but it has been sitting in a small nearby town for years. I asked as much as I could to try and get an idea of what it was and here is what she said.

I asked the year and was told she said "It was the only year with reflectors on the side." She knew this because she said they had a hard time finding replacements. She also said it was originally dark green. So I'm thinking 1968. I asked if it was a fastback or not and after some hesitation she said it was not a fastback.

Now here is the stumper.

I asked if it had a V8 or 6 and she very quickly responded with "It's got a 302 BOSS engine." as if she was very sure of it. Now I suppose someone could have put a 302 BOSS in a 68 coupe and my next question would be where did the engine come from, but, given this description what would you guess this stang to be?

Also, if it is just a 68 that someone dropped in a 302 BOSS, how would one recognize a 302 BOSS by just looking at it? I might be interested in the car, depending on price of course, if it truly has a 302 BOSS.

What struck me was that like the reflectors, because of trying to replace them, she seemed to be very sure of the 302 BOSS engine.

While anything is in fact possible, it's not very probable. From my experience many who do not know Mustangs think every 302 is a boss engine, these are the same folks who think a 5.0 and a 302 are totally different. As for how you could recoginze if it is a real boss or not I am sure there has to be 100's of pitures online of both a boss's and standard 302 engine bay's that you could compare.

My guess is it's an end of year Plain Jane 68' coupe.

Your probably right Pakrat its just that she seem to know nothing about the car except for the reflector thing and the 302 BOSS. Perhaps my wish full thinking is fogging over my common sense.

From what I've found a 302 BOSS can be recognized by

1. Look at the freeze plugs. If they are press in then not a 302 BOSS. If they have a square indent and look like a big set screw it might be a 302 BOSS.

2. Eight bolts in the valve cover.

3. Radiator hose enters via manifold and not the block.

Your probably right Pakrat its just that she seem to know nothing about the car except for the reflector thing and the 302 BOSS. Perhaps my wish full thinking is fogging over my common sense.

From what I've found a 302 BOSS can be recognized by

1. Look at the freeze plugs. If they are press in then not a 302 BOSS. If they have a square indent and look like a big set screw it might be a 302 BOSS.

2. Eight bolts in the valve cover.

3. Radiator hose enters via manifold and not the block.

I think it's foggy common sense. You are assuming that what she is TELLING you is in fact what she KNOWS. I honestly think she does not KNOW anything about the car or Mustang's in general. What she more than likely is doing is recalling what she overheard from her husband/son/brother at one time or another. A hard time finding refelctors would be memorable for example.

Screw in freeze plugs would be your best bet IF you do find that it has 8 bolts on the valve cover. Keep in mind there are Clevor engines out there which are basically a 302 block with 351 Cleveland heads. Slap a set of Boss valve covers on there and you could fool anyone who doesn't know much about boss motors. If the motor has 6 bolts then its the standard 302. Very very unlikely it is a boss motor but somebody has to win the lottery some time :lol: Good luck in the find.

...these are the same folks who think a 5.0 and a 302 are totally different....

But they're different numbers, they can't be the same??? - LOL

I have to agree with the point that everyone thinks an old Mustang with a V8 is a "BOSS" as I've run across the same thing with plane jane coupes.

If you're not comfortable with ID'ing the motor (or the car year), do like Pak said and then print and take the pics with you to compare as well.

Was 68 the year the side markers started? I know my '67 Cougar XR7 didn't have them.

Good luck!

-Stephen

Was 68 the year the side markers started? I know my '67 Cougar XR7 didn't have them.

-Stephen

Yes, it wasn't even electrical in the rear, it was a simple reflector within a recess.