Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ltnrisk

Barracuda

See I have come to a fork in my progress with my 1969 Mustang. I found a dirt cheap 1967 Barracuda and They want 3500 for it which I got or I can complete my engine work with the stroker kit on my car it would only take maybe 200 dollars at most to get the Barracude running or should i just stick with my car so far since I have no body work completed on it yet. Now if I had more money i would do both but yeah I am just a kid still so ya.

thats a tough decision, i would have to go with buying the cuda. you can always buy it now and work on it later. that sounds like a pretty good deal for a cuda. get it while you can. you can always make money for it later

Well personally I do not have an attraction to a 67' Cuda at all, I think they were pretty butt ugly compared to later Cuda's and particularly compared to a 69' even if it's a coupe and not a fastback.

In either case, if something seems to be too good to be true then it probably is, if you decide on the Cuda then make SURE that it will only require $200, maybe's and probably's will nickel and dime you to death without question.

i like the 69 cuda's as well, favorite cuda would be a 4 headlight version, maybe a 73 or 74.

if i had a choice between a cuda and 70-74 challenger i'd have to take the challenger, so much smoother looking. would prefer a 70 challenger T/A, love that 340-6 pack. yeah baby :D

I like the early Barracudas, so I understand your attraction. Is the Barracuda in better shape than the Mustang? Does it have the parts and options you want? Will you have to restore the 'cuda? How much work have you put into the Mustang so far? Are you willing to do everything all over on the 'cuda? Some things to think about... That said, like Pak said, be sure you can have the Barracuda where you expect for $200. I kinda doubt it for the simple reason that a running car is worth more. So I think if the car could be fixed for that kinda cash, the seller would take care of it and ask $500 more for the car.

Second, just realize that you simply won't have the kind of resto parts market like the Mustang has. This means if you've gotta fix/replace/restore anything on the Barracuda, it'll cost you more... maybe much more.

Anyway, just decide which you really want to own. Infatuation fades fast when a car doesn't meet your expectations. This may have happened with the Mustang, and it may happen with the Barracuda. Just go into it with your eyes open, and think long and hard about what you really want.

BTW, for you non early Barracuda fans, here's a project from a guy over at pro-toruing.com :

HOOKED-WEB.jpg

http://www.pro-touring.com/hooked/

Sorry, still don't like it. Dress a pig up in Louis Vitton and I still won't date it. The whole long deck short nose thing does nothing for me (that's as opposite mustang as you can be) and the fastback design just does not look at home on that bodystyle, it looks totally awkward to me.

Hate to say it... but if I had a choice between a mustang and a cuda... the cuda wins by default every time...

Sometimes I think that Mustangs are for fellaz who can't afford real muscle... but then I realize... hey... it could be worse... I'd could be driving Rice :lol:

Sometimes I think that Mustangs are for fellaz who can't afford real muscle...

That's crap... sure, we all think "Cuda" and think musclecar because we all really think Hemi, Six Pack, pistol grip shifters, Sox and Martin, etc. I know we've all seen plenty of lame Cudas over the years.

The problem is that when some of us think "Mustang", we think of a '65 ragtop. But others of us think Boss 302, Parnelli Jones, trans am racing, Cobrajet Mach 1, Kar Kraft, drag pack, shaker, etc. I'm that kind of guy... and while I can't afford any of that stuff, when I was 15 I bought my '70 Mach 1. It ain't real muscle, but then again I ain't done with it yet either.

That's crap... sure, we all think "Cuda" and think musclecar because we all really think Hemi, Six Pack, pistol grip shifters, Sox and Martin, etc. I know we've all seen plenty of lame Cudas over the years.

Maybe so... maybe it IS crap... hell, I own and drive a Mustang... and have owned mustangs for the last decade... in my estimation, Mustangs are cheap starter cars... for people (like me) who are working on limited budgets but have a love for classic muscle...

But I know... if I pull up to a stop light... and a barracuda, let alone a 'Cuda, pulls up in the lane next to me... that Mopar driving bastard is gonna hand my arse to me when that light turns green...

And lets face it... people who restore and drive classic cars do it not just for the love of classics... but for being able to slam the hammer down and get that stupid grin that comes from being forced back into your seat when that beast roars to life...

Or at least... I've never met anyone who has owned a sports car, or a muscle car, and didn't buy it to satisfy their inner speed demon...

Rabid,

It's easy to make your Mustang fast if what you care about is the musclecar straight-line thing. Just go here:

http://www.maximummustang.com/wforum/viewforum.php?f=34

and get a used 460, or if you have some $ the 514 from fordracing.com. Trust me, it'll go fast. 8) Still cheaper to go fast in a straight line with the biggest big block you can stuff under the hood.

No, it ain't a Hemi, but it still blew the doors off your $250,000 'Cuda! :lol:

True a mustang is more of an all around car to me. Thats what makes it great. You can have an all around ground pounder and make it your daily driver with no problem.

But i also have a centerfold of a 1970 cuda on my wall, not because i like its look but for the motor thats in that bad boy. It's been there for years even before i got my mustang.

I would take a mustang over a cuda anyday. Good job ruffling the feathers rabid

:twisted:

I just re-read my original reply and I think I should've metered my tone a bit more. No offense intended... I meant it all in the slightly dismissive "you don't really mean that" way, as opposed to the "you've got a crappy attitude" tone I think it has. My point is that our views are often romanticized versions of reality. Heck, the word "hemi" is synonymous with "power", but people forget the old boat anchor hemis that once powered so many Mopars.

I guess my point is that not all 'cudas or Mopars are fast, but they sure do have the reputation. Even I feel it when I see one, even if it does have a lowly 318.

While I love Mustangs completely, I will admit that even though the car gets looks and thumbs up, I have felt less than worthy at times of being a classic car owner when I go by say a sweet 30 something hot rod or a nice GTO or basically anything that you can't practically build from scratch out of a catalog like most Mustangs can, or even something that pound for pound is worth far more than my car with the same amount of energy and time put into it. They are far more approachable by the average Joe than some of the more exotic choices sure, but it's not exactly like every other guy in my town has one either and it's not like there aren't a huge chunk of guys without any kind of fun car that envy the living hell out of me for what I have.

Would I like something bigger and better? Who wouldn't. Somehow though for the time I get to use it each year I think I am more happy spending the bulk of my time in a brand new deluxe daily driver than some crappy rusted out beater and having the best of both worlds instead of tying up all my money into just one toy.

... or a nice GTO...

I had a nice GTO once... a '67... it felt the same, but different, in terms of "musclecar" feel. I'll admit a big block with too much cam will always feel more "muscle" than any 5.0 or 302. It's all about viscerality. Wanna that feeling? Put an FE or a 429/460 in there, or even a well built Cleveland... that should do the trick.

if i had the money to restore something other than my car, that is if we are talking about dream car bigger n better, it would have to be a mid 70's pantera gts, man i lnve those cars.

but basically any musclecar is cool too me, challengers, chargers, road runners, 442's gto's pretty much all of them even an amc rebel machine, which BTW i happen to know where there is one sitting jut waiting for me to come up with the money for it.

the guy who owns has it had it since it was new or at least it's been in the family that long. i can remember when i was a little kid playing at my grandma's house it was just around the corner. my granndma moved to a different house on the other side of town and i have moved all over the state of texas, but that car still sits there.

But I know... if I pull up to a stop light... and a barracuda, let alone a 'Cuda, pulls up in the lane next to me... that Mopar driving bastard is gonna hand my arse to me when that light turns green...

Well lets see, a mild 302 coupe versus big block Cuda :roll: Of course he'll whip your arse. Until you get a stroker windsor or even a big block that will most always hold true unless you have $10k in that 302 :shock: . I've whipped Vettes, GTO's, and even my buddies Challenger 440 6-pack car. How? A 427 stroker windsor motor which makes more torque (thats right, torque wins races and horsepower is for bragging) than the above AND weighs alot less than those big blocks. If you want to get even crazier, add twin turbos to the equation. That'll open your eyes. :lol: The same could be done with the Mopar or any other car and yes i've even seen ricers leave muscle in the dust. Muscle is just that, muscle. Camaro, Mopar, GTO's, hell they are all beasts with big motors made to go fast and suck gas. They can beat each other on any given day but it all comes down to how much money you have under the hood and/or what displacement you have. The type of car is only personal preference and your's is the Cuda which i don't hold against you. Hell I almost bought a 73 cuda for $1500 and it was rust free and a decent paint job, but the block was left in the weather. I smartened up though and bought my 70 Mach 1 which is worth double what that Cuda is worth 8) They all are beautiful cars IMO and i'd own every type of muscle car i could get my hands on if money were no object (which is why i only own one).

I've whipped Vettes, GTO's, and even my buddies Challenger 440 6-pack car. How? A 427 stroker windsor motor which makes more torque (thats right, torque wins races and horsepower is for bragging) than the above AND weighs alot less than those big blocks.

Theres a distinction which must be drawn here. You have to pour thousands into the drive train of a ford to keep up with and surpass a STOCK mopar. Sure sure, you can turbo charge it, or even super charge it... but you're still racing against STOCK MOPAR, not modified.

stock ford VS stock mopar = mopar wins every time.

If you want to be fair about it, drop 10G into the mopar, then 10G into your ford, and see whos winning.

modified ford VS modified mopar?... I'll let you decide the winner.

Hell I almost bought a 73 cuda for $1500 and it was rust free and a decent paint job, but the block was left in the weather. I smartened up though and bought my 70 Mach 1 which is worth double what that Cuda is worth

Are you talking about a "barracuda" or a "cuda" ? (Theres a difference). When I watch car shows, the highly optioned 'Cudas sell for a helluva lot more than the highest optioned Mustang.

You can build any car to go fast. Hell, I had a friend in high school who had a tubbed out pinto that ate anything and everything alive. I'm talking stock vs stock here; not pintos with super chargers.