Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Everyone running 17" +/- rim please advise your brake s

OK here's the deal, I am upgrading to 17" 03' Mach 1 rims to accomodate the new 13" Cobra Disc Brake system I am getting from Mustang Steve and I am wondering what I should do for the rear setup, I'd like to see some pictures of yours if available.

I'm curious how it looks with drums still out back vs. a smaller disc and non'matching caliper or same size disc and non matching caliper or preferably a totally matching set. My old 14" SSW's show nothing behind them so I'm afraid the front will look great and the rear like butt.

Any thoughts, advice and/or pictures highly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Pak

OK here's the deal, I am upgrading to 17" 03' Mach 1 rims to accomodate the new 13" Cobra Disc Brake system I am getting from Mustang Steve and I am wondering what I should do for the rear setup, I'd like to see some pictures of yours if available.

I'm curious how it looks with drums still out back vs. a smaller disc and non'matching caliper or same size disc and non matching caliper or preferably a totally matching set. My old 14" SSW's show nothing behind them so I'm afraid the front will look great and the rear like butt.

Any thoughts, advice and/or pictures highly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Pak

I don't know of any car that has the same calipers front and back. Drums are a no-no IMHO for such a large wheel, so is a front slotted/rear non slotted rotor. That gives the appearance, to me, of a very poor modification in the planning and detail area. So I take it you got the drilled/slotted rotors. Here is what I have for rotors/calipers on my car....

FordM2300KSystem.jpg

These calipers don't match in looks; hell the only thing about them that match is the manufacture.....both is pbr's and these are correct size. Fronts are from mach1/bullets/cobras etc. The backs are from a corvette / f-body.

If you want matching rotors, no problem bear makes a DecelaRotors which is sold in a lot of auto parts stores and are factory replacements. These are the slotted/drilled rotors that will match your fronts.

What does this mean to you? Whatever rear kit you choose/svo/f-bady/mark....whatever, you can get matching rotors.

As for the backs, just choose for function. Then when you get them, disassemble powder-coat or paint the calipers to match the red fronts. I personally don't like the red, it’s too "hey look at me!" for my taste.

decelalogo.gif

http://baer.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/00791.2.3328954741000000836

I highly suggest ultrastang! I would however get in contact with Steve Ainsworth, the owner; I think he was balls deep in a new rear cobra kit.

All in all, in the end, you need to choose a rear caliper that will compliment to master cylinder, front calipers and the rest of the system in the terms of volume and performance. Rears are not meant to have equal size rotors as the front, and liquid volume should be less then the fronts as well.

STAY AWAY FROM A NON FLOATING DESIGN…PLEASE! These are more precise in the braking dept. but your fronts are floating and so should your backs! Don’t get fooled into the super cheap kit either, there are cheap like the price! I think Ben posted the caliper with the zillion holes, it scares me! Stick with a caliper that at one point in its life was on a car that was D.O.T. approved.

This is what I’d do if I were you…….

Use a junkyard set-up (ultra stang / svo etc.), get the bear rotors to match your fronts and paint or powdercoat red to match.

Okay, I’m done. I hope this makes sense, it did to me. ;)

Excelent Info Trin, thanks.

Honestly I've only worked on low tech, so I have never even attempted to look at a modern brake system much less install one, I guess if I had I would have noticed that the calipers don't match, I feel stupid now.

I did go slotted, seems a shame not to for a lousy $20. I would definitly do the same for the rear, I agree with you totally, makes no sense to go solid out back. Why are drums a no no though? Is it just the appearance? This would seem to be the option that Mustang Steve reccomends, he even sells the master cylinder for such.

So what is that Kit you got again? PBR's ? They say Baer on them? I'm confused again, sorry. You say they are the correct size, what size would that be? And this was a full front and rear kit? And the rear is for a Vette?!??!?!?! How much was that kit if I may ask???

Good info on the decelarotors, thanks. I did not know they would match my fronts, that's half the battle right there. So what size should be used int he rear? 10", 11" higher?

So to recap, go Ultrastang (which gets me everything I need? Master Cylinder et all (save for probably adding new lines) and then just swap out a new rotor to match better?

BTW as it turns oyut the Caliper is Gray not red and I wouldn't have left it red if it was, I agree.

My only issue I guess is junkyard stuff scares me sometimes, especially something as important as brakes. Just making sure I get all the parts I need to get from the car is scary enough.

I don't suppose their is a whole new rear kit with the DecelaRotors already included that I could get and just spend the extra cash, is there?

EDIT: Hmmm, looks like the drill pattern is a little different, like twice as many?

IMG_0065.sized.jpg

pak, i edited the pic, other 1 was too big for me to handle, hope you don't mind:).......... sg69

Honestly I've only worked on low tech, so I have never even attempted to look at a modern brake system much less install one, I guess if I had I would have noticed that the calipers don't match, I feel stupid now.

Don’t feel stupid…really….

No I mean it;)

I did go slotted, seems a shame not to for a lousy $20. I would definitly do the same for the rear, I agree with you totally, makes no sense to go solid out back. Why are drums a no no though? Is it just the appearance? This would seem to be the option that Mustang Steve reccomends, he even sells the master cylinder for such.

Drums are okay for the rear system and can compliment the big fronts in performance but just face it, do you see any cars that come from factory with big ass front brakes toteing rear drums, no, not really.

So what is that Kit you got again? PBR's ? They say Baer on them? I'm confused again, sorry. You say they are the correct size, what size would that be? And this was a full front and rear kit? And the rear is for a Vette?!??!?!?! How much was that kit if I may ask???

Yes it was a full kit,. Baer front track, touring rear. Mine came with everything in the picture in the last post except the axels. Pbr sells the calipers to these companies, the companies machine the logo in. you can find the exact caliper with the words Shelby, cobra, baer, a running horse(bullit mustang/’04 mach1) and the list goes on I’m sure!

Yes a corvette! Its not a gm part, it’s a pbr part. As long as these parts compliment each other. i.e. as long as the backs are smaller then the fronts, you will be fine. You do not want to be over braked out back!

I paid about 2000 for my kit which included mastercylinder, braided lines, bearings brackets parking brake cables and everything. I did go with options though like arp wheel studs and nickel dipped rotors.

PBR is the leading OEM performance brake company that American and Australia uses in the world….link below. It’s an Australian company. They sell brakes to GM and Ford to use in their high performance set-ups. Its like Porsche / Nissan (German/Japanese) and Brembo. Look on the back of your caliper when you get it, it’ll say “PBRâ€.

http://www.pbr.com.au/products/performance.shtml

Shelby uses them on the Eleanor’s from Sanderson Sales too……

173_0303_mach_8_chr_z.jpg

Good info on the decelarotors, thanks. I did not know they would match my fronts, that's half the battle right there. So what size should be used in t he rear? 10", 11" higher?

I would go with a 11†or a 12†if you can on your set-up.

So to recap, go Ultrastang (which gets me everything I need? Master Cylinder et all (save for probably adding new lines) and then just swap out a new rotor to match better?

Yes, sounds like a plan. I don’t know the ins and outs of ultra stangs set-up as I haven’t got any personal experience; I just know he uses a caliper and bracket set-up that will work well with your fronts. The size/volume is compatible.

BTW as it turns oyut the Caliper is Gray not red and I wouldn't have left it red if it was, I agree.

Amen, I actually too mine and polished them. Not too flashy like a bright color.

My only issue I guess is junkyard stuff scares me sometimes, especially something as important as brakes. Just making sure I get all the parts I need to get from the car is scary enough.

Understand this, most “kits†on the market are designed to endure the trials and tribulations of racing…..NOT street use! These kits don’t meet federal regulations and do not get engineered by engineers like production parts do. you will be safer using something that came off of a street car then a kit designed to take a car around in circles a few times. If you are unsure of the junk-yard set-ups, just ask for help, we are here for a reason ;)

I don't suppose their is a whole new rear kit with the DecelaRotors already included that I could get and just spend the extra cash, is there?

Other then a rear touring kit from Baer, no. …..which could be another option too…..

i do see the differance, its pretty close though.....

maybe you could ask steve who supplies his rotors so you can find out if they make a set to exactly match your fronts? i think its close enough though.....

From that pic of the Baer rear discs, it appears that they have a mounting bracket that might be similar to the rear cobras. I was just looking on ebay at the Cobra rear discs and they mount with only two bolts much like those Baers. It would be interesting to see if the spacing of the bolts all matched up to the Cobra rears. A local shop could make those plates for you with some dimensions provided by someone who has the rear kit. You could check the local yards to see if they have a junk cobra that you could steal the rear brakes off of, depending on if you are located near a larger city. The rear rotors on the Cobras are around 11.65" or so, but you wouldn't need 13" out back as the fronts do most of the braking.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsre.aspx?id=2054

i know currie has a kit for cobra rears, its 5-600 though. and it fits 9" and 8" too.

brackets are 150

ce6011bc.jpg

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsre.aspx?id=2054

seems like a good deal if you can get calipers and rotors cheap.

seems like that slotted rotor is common on e-bay. rears runn 2-250.

so currie brackets=150

rotors=200

calipers=???

it could be a cheap way of doing cobras out back?

also you guys need to consider plumbing, valve and a compatible mastercylinder.

Unfortunetly i did not post the calipers with the million holes. But yeh i did not like them at all. Anyway please continue the discussion giving me some good ideas. I would like to find a rotor that has the same amount of drilled holes for the rear as the front have. Anything available.

I would like to find a rotor that has the same amount of drilled holes for the rear as the front have. Anything available.

Yeah, same here.

So Bnickel, are you supposed to have the holes drilled in the right qty yourself then or something?

PowerSlotCryoFrozenRotor.jpg

I'm starting to think for now that I should probably focus on getting the rims and leaving my drums out back just for now, then I can always upgrade further. This way my only added expense right now is the master cylinder.

OK so as a follow up question, anyone know of a good deal on a disc/drum tandem master cylinder other than the one Steve sells for $75? I checked autozone online but don't honestly know if any particular one will do or not and since they seem to be a 3rd of the price of his it makes me nervous that it won't be sufficient.

BTW, for anyone isterested, I talked to Mustang Steve again with some follow up questions as follows:

I do have a couple of quick follow up questions though, if you don’t mind my picking your brain a tad. Thanks for the tip on the 86 SVO BTW. I don’t know if you are familiar with the Ultrastang website: http://www.ultrastang.com/Ultrainfo.asp?Page_ID=14

He lists two other possible donors for the rear brakes as well as the one you do but he indicates that his bracket is needed for all of them from what I can see, is this misleading? Do you know something I’m sure I don’t? Just curious.

I am pretty sure I will want some type of disc outback eventually just to compliment the look of the 17” rims but I’d really like to have the rotors match, can you tell me who you get yours from? Everything I have seen so far comes with way more holes than yours do.

Here is the reply I got from him:

I have my rotors custom made by a company in California. When I come out with the Cobra rear brakes, the rotors will match the fronts.

Ultrastang is a friend of mine (Steve Ainsworth) He makes good stuff, too.

Steve Wilkes

So it would appear the choice is simple, at least for me anyway. Since I can't match the rotors right now I am going to retain my drums out back and await this rear kit he is doing before I change to rear discs too. I think it'll be more than worth it.

I smell another group buy in the works in the future. Oh wait maybe i just need a shower...

i don't Ben the way you've been talking about these group buys you may need a COLD shower :lol:

The funny thing is that in a follow up converstaion Steve HIGHLY recommends that you retain the rear drums for a street driven car and that they work great. Unless of course aesthetic is your main concern.

I smell another group buy in the works in the future. Oh wait maybe i just need a shower...

i don't Ben the way you've been talking about these group buys you may need a COLD shower :lol:

ahah i have been betrayed by one of my mods, editing my post. How dare yee! :lol:

Give people a little power and look whats happen.

HaHa no problem, yeh i have once or twice i'll admit. There ya go now theres a loyal mod: trinitys. nOT TO MENTION HE'S A GREAT GUY TOO! HELL I'M GONNA JUST GIVE HIM MY CAR FOR BEING SUCH A NEAT-O KINDA GUY! I can say really stupid sounding words like neat-o because i'm the forum god! so ha!

oh no,, why ben, you shouldn't have, i just don't know what to say! :lol:

just screwing ya. cause i like suff like that, i like sheep to but that's for another forum :oops:

And i like 90 year old ladies but that too is for another forum ::giggles like a girl::