Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bswor

To paint my headers or not to that is the question...

Howdy, I have a question for all of you guys that have painted your headers with a high temp paint. Does it work? Does it last, and if so how long? Or should i shell out $400 for some ceramic coated, I would rather paint them since money doesnt grow on the trees in my neck of the woods. Also are there better paints out there that hold up compared to those that dont. Where to get them if so? That ends this episode of 101 questions, stay tuned for next weeks thriller.....

To paint your headers they must be hot for the paint to cure correctly, I did the ones for my 428 a while back and I ran the car to operating temp then used a piece of cardboard to "shield" what I didn`t want painted.

They came out nice.

You could always contact jet hot, they also do excellent work.

John

i always use the VHT 1500* cast iron manifold coating, make sure you have the headers sandblasted first to remove all traces of old paint and rust. if you go with the VHT make sure you get the cast iron manifold coating, it holds up much better than the 1000* manifold paint, i did mine over 2 years ago now and they still look good. i originally started using it when i still had stock manifolds and the first time i did them it lasted for about 5 years of daily driving on my 70 cougar

Ok great thanks for the info, where do I get the VHT 1500 coating? I seen some header paint in eastwoods catalog but it stands up to only 1200 degrees. I assume the VHT can withstand 1500?

I prepped and cleaned mine real well and followed all the instructions to a tee with the VHT 1500 paint. Even followed the curing instructions (start the motor, let it get warm, shut down to cool, start it again, etc.)

It's already starting to flake off after about 500 miles. I've never had luck with rattle can high temp paint...

I prepped and cleaned mine real well and followed all the instructions to a tee with the VHT 1500 paint. Even followed the curing instructions (start the motor, let it get warm, shut down to cool, start it again, etc.)

It's already starting to flake off after about 500 miles. I've never had luck with rattle can high temp paint...

I've had the same luck as you painting headers. I had the set on my car coated with ceramic coating by a local powder coating shop. So far so good.

I've heard very good things about the Tech Line header coatings. I've used POR15 manifold paint on my exhaust manifolds (paint after they are sandblasted) and they last 10k+ miles but they may not make it on higher temp headers.

Here is a link to the Tech Line coating:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Black-Satin-Coating,25581.html