ThePoose

Question for those running 9-10 wide rear wheels

After months of indecision, I finally pulled the trigger on some new wheels. I just received them and went to test fit before I ordered tires. I went with a 17x9 in the rear with a 5-inch offset, which the fitment charts (and forum conversations) say is a fit without rubbing. My question is should that wheel fit inside the wheelwell? I have about 2.5 inches of space on the inside, but the outside edge of the wheel extends into the inner part of the fender lip. Is this pretty standard? Because when I read fits without rubbing, in my head it was completely inside the wheelwell. Is this more or less what you're experiencing? Trying to post images, but nothing I've done before seems to be working. Everything is an error.

Thanks for your help.

I'm running 17x10.5 wheels with 315 sumitomo HTR-Z tires (no longer made).  It all fits in my wheelwell, but I did roll the lips and had to do a bit of clearancing with a hammer at the front lower inside wheelwell and a bit at the rear inside. I have about 1/4" between my leaf spring and the wheel, and had to use a 1/2" spacer to correct the backspace to get it all to fit.  It has 6.8" backspace, so with the 1/2" spacer the net backspace is 6.3" on 10.5" wheel.  Here is a link to my post with pictures and info, in case it helps!  

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45710-maximum-rubbergirl-gets-some-new-shoes/&tab=comments#comment-83401

I run 18x10 with a 1/2 spacer without issue, your main concern is the tire size width and height. Depending on the tire brand you may need to roll the fender lip. I running 275s/35/18 but I've seen ppl go wider but you may need a BFH to hit the inner wheel well. 

Thanks. The images would make it more clear what I'm talking about. I'll probably end up having to get a custom version of the wheel, which my cheapness was trying to avoid. At least they won't stick past the fender. I'll just avoid potholes for the time being.