Sign in to follow this  
smh00n

Saginaw p/s pump pulley - 1/2" belt width needed

I am seeking answers on a power steering issue I have.

My car is factory a/c and p/s and has a 1/2" wide belt to drive the water pump and power steer pump.

I've converted to a Saginaw pump which was supplied with a 15/32" grooved pulley; and the belt is slipping.

Is anyone aware of a pulley that will fit the Saginaw press on pump, and has the correct back space and groove width for a 1970 302?

I've seen that a later E350 van may have the right pulley but I cannot confirm it.

My preference is to change the power steering pump pulley, as I like the look of the steel factory pulleys, and I spent a lot of time and money getting them so I'm reluctant to go the aftermarket route unless it proves that is the best/cheapest way to fix my belt slipping issue. I've checked and the Saginaw pulley does not have enough material to machine it out to 1/2" so that's out.

The parts book tells me that every V8 except some big blocks used a 1/2" belt on factory p/s cars. There's gotta be an answer out there.....

Thanks. That looks very close. But I see $35 shipping

Had I read my own posts on a local Mustang forum, there is already a local Falcon that may have the correct pulley. About $50 which is cheaper than anything I buy from the US.

1 hour ago, shelbyshelby said:

I had a 1970 tbird with a 429 and an oem Saginaw pump. Any chance those would fit? 

Could do as the Cleveland/335 pulleys were the same as late Windsor.

I'll try the local option first