Sign in to follow this  
mattwash08

Shock question for lowered car

What are some good choices for a lowered car? it has lowering springs with an additions 1/2-1 coil cut off, i cant remember. also it has reverse eye leafs and 1-inch lowering blocks. its sits very low! I love the look though, very much like a trans-am style racer in my opinion.

Now... what are good options for shocks, front and rear to try and help the car not be soo bouncy /:

Any input or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I currently have other springs and the 1-inch blocks removed until i can get some better shocks to address the bounce issue.

Matt

well now that I should have my new wheels on newxt week I want to get back on having the car sit right. I loved the way the car sat with my cut springs but there was no tension on them at all then I had the car jacked up with the front tires off the ground. I didnt like the fact that the spring could move around in there freely because there was no tension keeping it in place... thoughts? should I cut the new ones, just not as much, or do yall think the maier racing shocks might limit the droop when i have the front end off the ground?

pics with cut coils and old worn out leafs. front end settled 1-1.5" lower than this..

098.jpg

picture with how it looks now. un-cut coils and 5 leaf reverse eye springs(1" blocks not installed)

IMG_20120327_175408.jpg

Thanks, Matt

Edited by mattwash08

cant speak for the cut coils... but what i have been told, is that the shocks will take up most of the slack in the loose spring. i have 2" drops on my 69 with no shocks and can pretty much pull the spring out by hand when its raised all the way off the ground.. guess we will see when the shocks get put in

well now that I should have my new wheels on newxt week I want to get back on having the car sit right. I loved the way the car sat with my cut springs but there was no tension on them at all then I had the car jacked up with the front tires off the ground. I didnt like the fact that the spring could move around in there freely because there was no tension keeping it in place... thoughts? should I cut the new ones, just not as much, or do yall think the maier racing shocks might limit the droop when i have the front end off the ground?

pics with cut coils and old worn out leafs. front end settled 1-1.5" lower than this..

098.jpg

picture with how it looks now. un-cut coils and 5 leaf reverse eye springs(1" blocks not installed)

IMG_20120327_175408.jpg

Thanks, Matt

cant speak for the cut coils... but what i have been told, is that the shocks will take up most of the slack in the loose spring. i have 2" drops on my 69 with no shocks and can pretty much pull the spring out by hand when its raised all the way off the ground.. guess we will see when the shocks get put in

Yea I guess i could look into running a larger spacer that the top of the shock than what i was to keep the droop to a mininum when the front tire is off the ground. i didnt really think about that one until just now haha

i had the same problem with my cut coils when i jacked the car up. i made some cable stops that bolt to the tower/coil cover & the upper control arm. simply jack the car up to the point where the coils are still seated without moving & make the cable just a hair shorter. costs about $5 for the cable & cable stops to do both sides.

photo3.jpg

Mine do the same and can become unseated from the top shock tower if not carefully guided while the car is lowered down off of jacks. I think I cut a full coil off of mine. I figured at some point I would get drop springs and remedy that. Until then the cable isnt a bad idea.

Edited by miketyler