Bishop1911

Noise coming from AC compressor

We are checking out the 69 mach 1 today, and there has been a noise which seems like bearings going in the AC compressor.

My buddy and i want to pull that belt off snd just have it not run.  If we did that, would this cause an issue for anything else?  Does anything else need that belt?  It doesn't appear so to me.

Thanks for the help

20210105_115844.jpg

The belts will vibrate at high speed when the AC is on. It is a large distance from the Compressor to the crank on the side next to the power steering, and that can start vibrating at certain speeds.  You can see it easily when you rev up the engine in Park with the AC on. You will see the belt vibrate a lot. That easily happens on a loose or old belt. 

There is also a bearing on the idler pulley.  Remove tension on the belt and insure it spins freely without a lot of wiggle. 

If it is not the belt, then maybe the clutch bearing.  As in understand it, you can replace this without needing to evacuate and recharge the freon. 

If none of these ideas work, put on some good tunes and turn up the volume on the radio. 

I noticed something in the photo provided. I am  not sure have the idler pulley installed correctly.  Maybe it works this way for the belt you have, but it does not look correct. My car is stored for the winter, so I cannot be sure. 

I also noticed the freon lines to the evaporator crossing the engine on top of the radiator. I know this is not correct. It has nothing to do with the noise, and maybe it is fine, but it is a symptom that someone has changed the system from the factory settings. What else has changed?  Was this an aftermarket add on system?