Sign in to follow this  
NoOnesHero

What radiator do I need?

So I recently purchased a 1969 mach 1 with a 390. It appears to have a stock radiator with an aftermaret 17" fan. I was told the aftermarket AC was installed last year. When I drive it, it gets hot quick. I'm thinking I need a better radiator and fan. What radiator and fan should I go with? Thoughts? 

I'd love to be able to drive this bad boy to Vegas and back (4 hours 1 way) without over heating. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

8 hours ago, NoOnesHero said:

So I recently purchased a 1969 mach 1 with a 390. It appears to have a stock radiator with an aftermaret 17" fan. I was told the aftermarket AC was installed last year. When I drive it, it gets hot quick. I'm thinking I need a better radiator and fan. What radiator and fan should I go with? Thoughts? 

I'd love to be able to drive this bad boy to Vegas and back (4 hours 1 way) without over heating. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

What size radiator do you have, 20" or 24". And do you have a fan shroud? I use a 24" original radiator with original shroud and 17" fan with clutch and do not have overheating issues with AC on using 190 thermostat on my 302 but I do not get stuck in traffic for hours.

It's 24" wide and 20" tall. It does have a fan shroud. It also has power steering and after market AC. This is a big block 390 though. I'm assuming there's something in the cooling system that has to be or at the very least can be replaced to prevent overheating. 

First up, welcome to the club. Where abouts do you call home? And pics, we need pics of your car. Is your 69 an S code?

Overheating could be caused by many factors, timing is not off, clogged radiator, bad water pump, broken thermostat. 

If I were you, I'd probably want to replace or repair all those parts I mentioned, and all hoses and belts. 

Thank you RPM, I'm in Bakersfield, Ca. It is an "S" code. I've attached a pic. 

I do plan on replacing the spark plugs, cables and distributor. I was thinking of going with an aluminum radiator. Maybe a 3 row crossflow radiator? 

It does have headers and aluminum intake manifold ( i want to say it's an edelbrock performer RPM). 

And I'd like to thank all of you for the helpful responses. 

1925818008.jpg

3 hours ago, NoOnesHero said:

Thank you RPM, I'm in Bakersfield, Ca. It is an "S" code. I've attached a pic. 

I do plan on replacing the spark plugs, cables and distributor. I was thinking of going with an aluminum radiator. Maybe a 3 row crossflow radiator? 

It does have headers and aluminum intake manifold ( i want to say it's an edelbrock performer RPM). 

And I'd like to thank all of you for the helpful responses. 

As  Eastyorkstang mentioned above, are you saying it is running hot just by looking at factory temp gauge? If so, I would get an infrared thermometer for $10-20 and measure the engine temp with it before buying a new radiator. 

7 hours ago, NoOnesHero said:

My apologies I did mean to address that. I am basing it off the gauge on the dash but it does have the Dakota digital gauges. Should I not go by that?

Even with Dakota digital gauges, I would check with infrared thermometer to make sure the gauge and sender are working properly; what if the previous owner used the wrong sender. Also, is the sender for Dakota digital installed on factory location?