Cantedvalve

1970 fold down hardware

I have removed my fold down seat so that I can install it CORRECTLY this time.  Yay.

I have a few issues to fix with the car itself.  It seems that the driver side support for the rear-most fixed panel was welded in the wrong place... high by about 1/2 inch.  So I have that cut off and I just need to weld it back.

Latch brackets on the wheel wells are mis-positioned.  The passenger side is off so far the latch wont fit through the panel (actually, its so far off its sitting in the cup holder in my truck).  The driver side looks to be right from the photos I have been able to scrounge up.  It is mounted high and to the back of the slot in the panel... but that is what most of the pictures I have found show as well.

I am starting with an 1965 setup, so I know I have to modify the fixed panel and the curved panel (cut the driver latch hole, add nuts for the rubber 'feet', recess the area around the latch cutouts for the recessed trim).  For the curved panel, what does the hardware that hold the latch plates on look like?  Are there nuts welded on the inside of the panel, or is it sheet metal screws?

Not a popular topic eh?  I think I am going to go ahead and weld nuts to the inside of the panels for all 3 latch guide holes.  That piece is going to take some impact when folding up the seat, so I want them to be strong, even if they arent "correct."  Should be a blast.

So I got my chrome trim kit today.  Some pf the parts have what appears to be buffing compound on them (small white spots).  Mineral spirits takes it off.  Other than that, it came with the latch guides (didnt expect that, have another set already ordered). and for some reason, it came with 2 more angled pieces... WITHOUT latch holes.  Both sides.  So I could install those pieces and NOT have latch holes?  Something odd about that.  I suppose someone out there would use it.  There were no years where there was NOT a latch on the passenger side.  Not sure why they would ever make such a beast.

So tonight I am going to mod the panels that need modding and put things back together... hopefully to install this weekend.  Hopefully I still have the adhesive spray...

@Ridge Runner  yeah I know.  I ordered the 67-70 kit.  It came with all the pieces I needed, and a couple I didn’t. Basically, the boomerang pieces that have the latch hole in them?  I got a second set without the latch hole. A set, meaning both sides.  To my knowledge, there was never a Mustang with a fold down seat from 65-70 that didn’t have a latch on the passenger side.  So why would they ever need to make a trim piece for the passenger side without the latch hole?

A wonderous mystery of the universe!

I got both the fixed panel and the front panel cut - the rear for the recessed support plates, and the front for the driver side latch and the recessed area around the latch.  I also got the holes drilled where I need them.  I also cut a relieve notch for the support feet that go on the front edge of the front panel as well as the holes that need to be there for the feet themselves. All I have to do is a bit of welding tomorrow and then clean and paint the front panel, and that part is done.

The trim fit as expected.  The only panel I could finish up was the middle panel - no welding needed on that one.  Anyway, the corner pieces with miter cuts in them don’t fit well at all.  Fortunately they are under the hinge, so it is really hard to tell there is an issue.

Since th trim kit I got is 67-70, I got the rear trim for the fixed panel... the chrome piece that 69-70 didn’t have. My son tells me I should use it anyway.  I tend to agree.  Hopefully I’ll have pics tomorrow.