Sign in to follow this  
Spider69

Geaarbox switch

Hi,

I own a very nice mach one for more than 4 years now.

This car was sold in 69 with a 4 speed gearbox and is now equipped with an automatic fmx gearbox.

I have installed last year a shift kit and a new Hughes torque converter.

I'm really satisfied but I would like to go for a manual 5 speed gearbox.

I know that this is not an easy task, but before starting everything I will gather as much info as possible.

I need your advice to select the best gearbox and some useful hints.

Thanks in advance for your replies

It all depends on how much you want to spend, cheapest option would be a used T5 from a junk yard, if you have more money you could look at a TKO 500 or TKO 600 or T56 six speed, Modern Driveline is a good place to start.

if you are not going to be drag racing it often, the z spec t5 is the best overall option but they don't fit well as they often hit the bottom of the trans tunnel by the time you get the driveshaft angle right so the engine needs to be lowered or the tunnel needs to be modified slightly. lots of people just install them without ever checking their driveshaft angle and some people get a vibration. the z spec is the best gear ratio. summit racing has decent prices on them.

i typically use the original style 3 finger pressure plates from mcleod. the other style of plates often causes more problems than its worth to run them and there really is nearly zero benefit to them.