Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Horn button? question

Hello All,

Well the good news is I am working on the Mach - been in a slump

So i pulled the rimblow wheel and sent it out for reconditioning.

I see 2 small brass" tabs that contact the bottom of the steering wheel.

I plan to lightly file these 2 comtacts but was wondering if they are part

of the wires coming up the column? Not certain what these (buttons) are called but should I try 

to replace them while I am in this far? They mak contact with the ring on the bottom of the steering wheel below the 

rimblow switch itself. I hope i have explained this correct.

Any advice greatly appreciate

Print Dad - Sam

If you are talking about the buttons that are spring loaded under the steering wheel, they are part of the turn signal switch, & to replace them IIRC you would have to replace the whole turn signal switch which includes the wires coming up the steering column. 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-turn-signal-switch-wiring-fixed-column-1969/p/TSW23/

Hello Mike65,

Yes you are correct  - spring loaded under steering wheel.  The turn signals work correct so I guess I will just clean them up a bit.

I do have one other question - the directional switch looks a bit dirty and dusty,

could you recommend a cleaner spray - I know I can use compressed air for the dust but figure there must be some sort of

electronic spray I could use as well, I really stink at electrical but know dielectric grease and I just want to clean this up while I am there.

Thanks for the help once again

Sam

CRC has a MAF sensor cleaner that is plastic safe, I would use that and a soft brush for the turn signal switch; it is available at parts stores. You can use that cleaner to clean the 2 horn contacts and the steering wheel contact plates too. I would not use a file on horn contacts (you will take out unnecessary amounts of material). If the contact points of brass tabs are shinny brass color, no need to sand or file; if  black, use a very fine sanding paper to get rid of the black tarnish.