stangs-R-me

Custom "GT" Center Cap for Legendary Alloy Wheels

I had mentioned in my thread about Legendary Wheels GT9 / 1969 Shelby replica that I wanted to try and find a "GT" logo similar to the OE '68-69 GT Center Cap but smaller that would fit in the center of a Magnum type center cap.   Legendary supplies a cheaper plastic center cap with all their wheels and it got me thinking.

Well, the GT emblem off of a '68-69 GT Gas Cap is the perfect size and I just so happened to still have the old pitted & faded one from my original pop-open cap that I had disassembled thinking that the whole gas cap could be restored & re-chromed.   

Anyway, did a quick mock-up cutting the back out of a brushed nickel closet door pull cup as the background to cover up the SD-LW logo.   Think it turned out decent.   You can buy just the GT Logo for the gas cap ... http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Air-Fuel/Fuel-Related/Fuel-Caps-Doors/Fuel-Cap-Emblem-Red-GT-1968-1969-Mustang.axd ... kinda spendy at $40 each though !!  

I did darken the faded RED up with a permanent marker.

Thinking I'll submit my idea to Scott Drake ... 

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG

Pony Center Caps will stay on my car though as I don't feel like spending $160 on a set of 4 gas cap emblems !!   I'd also want to find a backing plate that better fills the whole center cap recess as the door pull I used is undersized by over an 1/8". 

Posted a pic on Legendary Wheel's facebook page though so maybe they'll consider making something like it.   

They make plenty of variations of Mustang wheels for all years that this center cap would fit on and plenty of '65-69 GT owners out there that might like this better than the current offerings.   I'm guessing that the basic center caps are all the same too (Scott Drake vs. Legendary) in that they only change the screws & backing plates to fit the various types of wheels so it likely could be used on steel or alloy re-pop wheels widening the market for it further.

Doug    

2 hours ago, Mike65 said:

They do look cool.

Thanks ... I was pretty proud of myself that I found this door pull cup in my misc hardware box as I was searching for anything either stainless or aluminum I could cut a piece out of.

The fact that it has a slight concave shape & rotary brush marks like the gas cap I thought no-way, this is exactly what I'm looking for ... too bad the diameter is just slightly undersized otherwise it could look factory made !!

Doug