Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Versailles Master Cylinder

While ago I put in a Lincoln Versailles rear end with disc brakes in my 70. Didn't change the master from the power disc unit I originally had on it. Brake pedal is going to the floor leading me to think the master cylinder is shot. Looking into getting a new one but I'm curious if there are any upgraded ones I can use ? Bigger or smaller bore, etc ?

If your master cylinder worked before the change, why would a change in the rear brakes cause the master cylinder to fail?   There is no connection there. There could be a connection between the bigger or smaller bore needed for the Versailles system, but that should not cause the master to go bad. Needing a different bore should also probably not have anything to do with the pedal going to the floor. 

If the pedal is going to the floor now, and it did not before, it is probably air in the system that did not get bled out.

I would guess others might have suggestions on this.  You might do a search of threads with Versailles and see if there have been other discussions about it.  You could get to the basics.  Calculate the fluid displaced in the master rear brake cylinder of a Mustang to the rear brake sylinder of a Versailles.   Remember your algebra?  Pi times R squared times the height.   I am not sure what you could do with that information, but maybe it is a start.

On 6/27/2017 at 9:19 PM, EastYorkStang said:

No, the master worked after the change. The question is, is there an upgraded or better master cylinder to use in my situation ?

"Most" folks use a one inch bore master cylinder on power brake four wheel drive cars. Do you have power or manual brakes?