Sign in to follow this  
lalojamesliz

Cooling time

it depends what you mean by cross flow . hose fittings on opposing sides can be considered cross flow and rads with horizontal tubes like the early camaros had are also considered cross flow.

that rad should be fine with 400 hp as long as your engine is not bored out to far and your timing curve is optimal for your particular engine.

600 hp is a complete different story.

3 hours ago, barnett468 said:

600 hp is a complete different story.

Booo! ;-)

I called Shaun earlier and he recommended a 24" two row with 1" tubes he sells for $300. We were talking and I told him it'll be for a fast street car with a rare 1/4 strip visit.

I wanted to get a champion because they are close by (kind of) and the lifetime warranty but I only saw aluminum with small tubes. 

I was very busy this morning but tomorrow I'll call some of the custom places mentioned 

40 minutes ago, lalojamesliz said:

Booo! ;-)

I called Shaun earlier and he recommended a 24" two row with 1" tubes he sells for $300. We were talking and I told him it'll be for a fast street car with a rare 1/4 strip visit.

I wanted to get a champion because they are close by (kind of) and the lifetime warranty but I only saw aluminum with small tubes. 

I was very busy this morning but tomorrow I'll call some of the custom places mentioned 

which shaun?

as long as the tubes are 3/8" on center and it is a cross flow and us made it "should" swork but that really is the minimum i would try.

49 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

which shaun?

as long as the tubes are 3/8" on center and it is a cross flow and us made it "should" swork but that really is the minimum i would try.

I don't know what Shaun, he just sent me the email with the parts required for the full kit after I talked him.  

He said it wasn't a crossflow

9 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

Finding a good radiator for me is at a decent price is becoming a PITA

I thought a 3-400 limit for my radiator would have been fine.  Oh well

no it's not . i posted one for you for $395.00.

you have to pay to play . if you want to use a $300.00 radiator, build a 450 hp engine.

18 hours ago, barnett468 said:

no it's not . i posted one for you for $395.00.

you have to pay to play . if you want to use a $300.00 radiator, build a 450 hp engine.

Wait..... i thought you said crossflow is a must?

I'm ok with the one you posted but since it was a downflow I didn't look at it much. 

Does it matter that the outlet on bottom for the hose is on the driver side?

I don't care about details like that being spot on like a original style, I just want it to work good for me

3 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

Wait..... i thought you said crossflow is a must?

I'm ok with the one you posted but since it was a downflow I didn't look at it much. 

Does it matter that the outlet on bottom for the hose is on the driver side?

I don't care about details like that being spot on like a original style, I just want it to work good for me

the one i posted is a cross flow because the hoses are on the opposing sides like explained in my last post.

the rad i posted is the minimum size i would use and i do not guarantee that it will properly cool a 600 hp engine but i guarantee that it is the best one i know of in that price range and think it "should" work as long as your engine is not bored out too far . also, tubes that are dimpled inside work better than ones that are not if all else remains the same, and griffen is the only company i know of that has dimpled tubes but they do not use them in every rad they make but im sure some other high end rad mfgs also have some dimpled tubes.

the rad i posted looks like crap only because the finish is dull, so you can either paint it or anodize it or polish the top and bottom if you want . i would definitely polish it if your intake and heads are polished . you can also use shiny stainless covered hoses if you want more flash.

so i take it the less they bore the engine the easier it is to cool.  i might have to wait to order this rad until i find out what they need to bore it too. its std bore right now so it shouldn't be much i hope.

i wanted to order this now because i hate waiting for goodies like this but i guess it's the smarter thing to do

3 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

so i take it the less they bore the engine the easier it is to cool.  i might have to wait to order this rad until i find out what they need to bore it too. its std bore right now so it shouldn't be much i hope.

i wanted to order this now because i hate waiting for goodies like this but i guess it's the smarter thing to do

if it is standard they can easily go just .020" over.