Sign in to follow this  
machm1970

Rim blow restoration

The parts car I bought had a rim blow, that was in pretty bad shape. The back side had cracks which I filled in and then sanded smooth, as did the wheel itself. I painted the black portion with a rubber paint. Stained the outer wheel portion, brushing it to give it the wood grain look. I removed the silver inlay and replaced with a aluminum color pinstripe, then coated it with a semigloss UV clear. Pad was cleaned and then painted with a black vinyl paint. The spoke cover, did the same and used a argent paint pen for the insert rings.

post-45407-0-00276100-1483238358.jpg

post-45407-0-38376700-1483238376.jpg

post-45407-0-39658100-1483238398.jpg

Bondo and spot putty for the cracks, minwax dark walnut stain, black spray dip rattle can, and valspar satin clear over stain and pin stripe. I applied multiple coats of clear to fill the small groove at pinstripe. I had a 1/2 wood horizontal dowel in the vise with the wheel slid on it, worked great for spinning on pinstripe, painters tape, and when spraying. Also, if the argent recessed rings are still in good shape, penny's and washers work well to cover them when painting the spoke face