Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Retrofitting an AC System

Has anyone tried to Retrofit a complete AC system from say a 90's model mustang into a 64-70 car?

Seems like it might save quite a few bucks, not to mention would probably cool a little better than an aftermarket unit.

Reason I ask is because there are TONS of mid 90's model mustangs in the Yards and I have my little 66 Coupe stripped down inside and their looks to be a fair amount of room under the dash.

Thoughts, suggestions??

We currently have a 96 Mustang GT and use to have a 94 Mustang.  Yeah . . . all our cars are old.  The A/C works as good as most cars.  I don't think any better than an aftermarket system since they use the same compressors.  Save yourself the headaches and get an aftermarket kit from a company like Vintage A/C.

Yeah I have a Classic Auto Air unit in my 69 and have installed a few more in other peoples cars.

It blows 32 degrees out of the vent so it gets good and cold, but Ill be damn if it gets cold inside like my new cars do LOL..

Guessing it has to do with the insulation and sealing etc...

My car has lizard skin inside and out on the floor, along with lizard skin inside the doors, trunk, roof and inner quarter panels, then I slapped a layer of Dynamat on All of the interior surfaces as well as the entire trunk area, and I have that 3/8" thick underlay mat that is like a thick hard asphalt and finally my carpet, and I can still feel heat radiating from the floor boards, and that all makes the AC not feel as cool inside, that is why I was wondering if a newer system from a newer car might work a bit better?

I may look into doing some kinda heat shielding over the top of my exhaust before its all said and done

I gotta give you credit for trying.  I would guess what you are considering could be done, but it would take a tremendous amount of time figuring out how to fit everything in place. If you have the time and want a challenge, go for it!