Sign in to follow this  
Tenthumbs

Cleveland or Windsor water pump

My 69 Fastback has a 351 Cleveland and I am in the process of installing an electric fan on an aftermarket radiator - radiator has stock inlet and outlets for hoses and was in the car when I got it.

After some test fitting, the fan hits the water pump snout....wondering if a short water pump off a Windsor motor would fit to create some more room? Done a little bit of research and it appears the water pump is the only thing interchangeable between the two but that just doesn't seem right to me.....   Read where you can take the cover off the Windsor pump and it will bolt on save for one unused bolt hole which does not impact sealing.

Anyone with any experience with swapping water pumps between a Cleveland and a Windsor?

The Windsor and Cleveland pumps are physically identical.  Since the Cleveland was introduced in 1970, it used the drivers side (left side) inlet, just like all the small blocks that year.   Prior to 1970, the small blocks used a passenger side (right side) inlet. 

For a stock water pump part, the Ford part number D0AZ-8501-E is right for the 1970 Cleveland.  The stock Windsor used the ​D0AZ-8501-C.   I believe that the difference is that the Cleveland water pump has a higher flow.   Another  good option would be the 1970 Boss 302 water pump which is Ford Part No. D0ZZ-8501-B.   I am not sure of the "length" of those pumps.

So, you would need to use the 1970 and later Windsor water pump for your Cleveland, if that is what you wanted to do.  There are "short" Windsor water pumps available in the aftermarket, just make sure that the one that you buy is not reverse rotation, used on the 5.0 cars.  I used an Edelbrock high flow standard rotation water pump on my 5.0 for my 1968, and I am very happy with it.

Hope this helps.