Sign in to follow this  
Black_69_FB

Looking for old/non-working 69 rimblow switch

Like the title says... if anyone has an old/non-working rimblow switch for a 69 they would let go cheap, I could use it for a test fit on my wheel. Probably be good for me to get a trial run in on something I can't ruin too.

you can NOT test fit an old dried up rubber horn switch.

Yes, good point... wasn't thinking about shrinkage.

Well, maybe there's a repo that got damaged during install floating around out there.

Lacking that, I would still take an old original just to fill the channel in the wheel. I've got the center inlay on the pad all reconditioned and maybe I could install the wheel with a Grant horn button in place of the center emblem and drive it like that while I figure out what I want to do about the actual wheel itself (older amateur resto, showing some wear).

Anyway, appreciate the lookout.

I threw one old OEM bad switch in the garbage and one new bad repro switch in the garbage about a week ago.  But like barnett468 mentioned, trial fitting an old switch isn't the same as fitting a new switch.  The old switch will reinstall easier than a new switch being installed for the first time.

A new repro switch would not fit in my rim blow steering wheel which is why one got damaged during installation and I threw it away.  Before trying a second new repro switch I cleaned and scraping the groove more thoroughly then before.  Then I still ended up trimming the groove very slightly with an exacto knife and knocking down any sharp corners and burrs with wet/dry sandpaper to make the groove a little wider.  Not much, maybe 0.015" or so wider.  Then the second repro switch installed with less force of basically my fingers and thumbnails and it works fine.  If you don't want to trim with a razor, try sanding the groove, it will take longer but you will have more control.  Measure the groove width periodically with some dial calipers to determine your progress.

All I can say is don't use a lot of force, use plenty of soapy water, and if the contacts have slid out of the rubber, gently push them back in before you start installing.  Check the switch before installing it.

My rim blow wheel is unrestored, but in pretty good condition.  It shows wear.  I replaced the center pad with a repro and kept the original.  With the horn button issues these have I don't know if professionally restoring these wheels is worth it anymore.