Sign in to follow this  
Convertible69

Headers?

I have a 351C ( 2V Heads ) with stock exhaust manifolds. I'm going to replace the exhaust system ( to be determined ) & have been contemplating installing headers too. I'm curious to know what Brand others guys are using with their 351C & are you using short or long tube headers?

Thx!!

Running Sanderson shorty's on my 351 4-V

Had my fill of long tube headers for daily driving on lowered cars long ago..

Sanderson's will need a little tune up in the weld department if you do get them... but they do fit good... 

I too have the Sanderson's shorty's headers. Unlike Ray, I've had mine on for over a year and would like to change to long tubes.

I gave them my specs and was advised that they would be good for the low end torque. Well in my opinion they are not! 

On the right side my header tube is a papers width away from the shock tower, my car doesn't have a smooth idle due to the cam am they rub ever so lightly. Do note that my motor is off center and if the adjustment is made, maybe they wouldn't rub.

I have the 351C 4V, 63cc Closed Chamber iron heads, Cam 220/231 @ 50, 541/559. AOD trans, 2600 stall and 4:10 gears.

Also since they are shorties, putting an O2 sensor is hit or miss.  I know Ray has the Fi Tech EFI set up, so maybe he can tell you more on that.

To get  a proper reading I believe the sensor has to be a few inches from the collector (on long tubes).  So in relationship to shorties, you'd have to figure somewhere downstream to install it.

I'd personally like to get a set of FPA Headers.

This is my personal experience, others may differ.

Please let us know what you get and how they fit, plus pictures are best.

FPA headers were on my list but went with Sanderson's..

The motor I had at the time is very far from what I have now.(Now 408-Chi 60cc 4-V---roller hyd- .621-.631-238-239@.50 LS112

Than...351 .030 over..63cc cast iron heads..BT intake 750 holly...560-.560 235-235@.50  LS108

The headers made a big change in free revving and less strain going down the road....

Bottom end not so much!   

I have found that your stock stroke 351C unless you put a RV cam in.... it can be a little lacking on the bottom end..

NOW.(408)..bottom end power not a problem..

Back to something maybe more use full.

On a stock 351 2-V I would just run the cast iron ex. till you really know what you want to do.. 

Wanting to go faster can creep up on you........

Great info!! I'm thinking now the best thing to do is to hold off on the headers until I'm ready to swap out the heads. Gotta save for a top end kit.

What exhaust systems are you guys using? There seems to be an equal split between Flowmasters & Magnaflows.