Trinitys

Best vinyl top remove and prep questions

The vinyl top on my car may not be original. There was aftermarket quarter trim on it and no factory trim holes. I'm planning to re-do my top at some point in the next year and also begin body work to paint. When I do, I need to prep and repainted.

Anyone have experience doing that is willing to share your knowledge?

I have done a few .The best way to remove one is with a sharp thick blade scraper .You want a thick blade so it doesn't bend or brake ,be care full not to gouge the metal ...or slice your wrist .Slice it off in ribbons about 3 inches wide is the easiest .You can paint strip the glue if you  are going to repaint ,or you can DA and sand it off .either way it isn't a lot of fun to remove.Use paint brush on glue made for vinyl tops to replace the new top ,two people makes it a lot easier to replace .Measure the joints in the top and mark a center line on the roof and measure out the joint lines ,start on one side with the vinyl top line lining up with the marks you made on the roof glue about half way out into the roof ,make sure to keep the lines straight ,apply glue smoothly to the vinyl and the roof and roll the vinyl out only as far as your glue .go to the other side and glue to the opposite line on the vinyl top and  finish rolling out the vinyl .Once the middle is down you can now do each side .The vinyl will probable need to be stretched in places to remove wrinkles and it can be lifted and stretched if you are quick about it .

If you have aftermarket trim, I would say the vynal top is not original.

There is a good chance that the top was painted and met me me rusted like the typical vynal top car.

If this is the case I would not put a vynal top back on, but that's me personally

Bob

I do know the original owner could have got the car without a top. This was possible with grandes. The car was painted at one time. Sounds like fun times lol. I'm ready though I think. This is my first go-round with body work.

Here are a couple pictures of the trim. If you see the river holes, this is where the previous owner attached the trim that used to be on the car. The trim was basically just rolled up vinyl. Looks dumb. I've since found the correct trim and install the larger pieces and drilled the holes for the smaller ones. I've removed the smaller pieces so you could see the holes.

This car lived in San Diego most of its life so there is little rust on. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

This fall when it cools off again I'm hope to do bodywork and paint, this summer will be rust repair on the doors, trunk floor and tail light panel. . When I do the top, I'll replace the windshield and remove the back lass for paint and to redo the headliner. So I'm basically planning to do all the roof related items this fall.

post-17-0-62612100-1457797557.jpeg

post-17-0-12840900-1457797589.jpeg

post-17-0-27078400-1457798305.jpg