nickjames138

Need a mechanic in Los Angeles area/valley

I have a 351W in mine with a bigger cam (not sure which because I didn't do it) I also have an edelbrock carb which isn't serving its purpose and I have a new Holley and distributor in the mail. I just got vintage air and the mechanic bumped the timing down. It's been running fun in colder weather, but two things....it's hot today and I just filled up the tank. Right after filling up it bogged down. I opened the tank and it started right up. Now I just drove it all day and it's hot...I turned on the AC and it bogged down and wouldn't start back up. I let it sit for 10 minutes and drove uphill for 20 mins then was coasting downhill (a lot of air) and it stalled while driving downhill. Now I'll have to sit for 10 more minutes and it will start right back up and drive another 20 mins. I'm not a pro with engines, but I've been tuning on this carb with no luck. Does anyone know a good mechanic around LA?

When I got the car back after being restored I only had a hesitation problem. After this one guy put Vintage Air in my car and supposedly bumped down the timing it's been bogging down and not starting back up only on hot days. I drove it last week on half a tank of gas for a few days long distance and it did great! No stalling or bogging, but today it's hotter and I'm having a lot of issues with a long drive

Just a guess...to me, your symptoms sound like your gas cap is not allowing air to come in.  You need a vented gas cap.  If not, a vacuum develops in the tank and your fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum pressure.  Next time it bogs down, open the cap (do you hear a whoosh?), put the cap back on and I'll bet your car starts right up.

Just a guess...to me, your symptoms sound like your gas cap is not allowing air to come in.  You need a vented gas cap.  If not, a vacuum develops in the tank and your fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum pressure.  Next time it bogs down, open the cap (do you hear a whoosh?), put the cap back on and I'll bet your car starts right up.

I thought this same thing, but I just stalled out and immediately opened the gas cap and didn't hear anything. I tried to start it will the gas cap open and it still wouldn't start. I think it's a heat issue...I had to wait 30 mins this time till it would start again. After 15 minutes it still wouldn't start. So, I didn't what any car lover would do and I waxed the car while I waited.

Someone suggested that I should wrap foil around the fuel line where it's laying on the block to see if it fixes the issue. There is a bunch of foil wrapped around the line and it's still stalling. 

So either it's cooling down or something (gas?) is settling? I can't figure it out.