RPM

Clock Bezel Tab Repair and Install

So I've got the left side tab partially broken which I'll attempt to repair with some JB Weld Plastic Weld. I've used the Steel Stik with outstanding results. 

My search for install pics or vids found nuttin. My question is what does the tab attach to? I don't want to use the Plastic Weld on a matting surface then have to grind it off. Any pics, links or first hand knowledge is appreciated. 

post-5441-0-26672100-1442968560.jpg

post-5441-0-98536300-1442968575.jpg

Funny you bring this up.  I'm definitely interested in what the answer is.  I actually repaired my tabs using jb weld, but I never actually attached them to anything in the car now that I think about it.  It is being held in place by the 6 screws (3 on top, 3 on bottom).

-Mike

That tab attaches to the back side of the dash pad with a sheet metal screw.  There is a tab for a sheet metal screw attachment on each end of the panel.  Those are almost always broke.  To correctly remove that panel the dash pad is first removed with the panel attached to it.  Then those two screws can be removed and the panel separated from the dash pad.  Visa-versa, the dash pad and that panel get installed together as one piece.

Thank you thank you 69_Mach1! Are the threads for the screw in the dash pad? I have a slight memory (or false memory) of the screw attaching to a thin sheet metal nut, maybe a J nut.

You're right, a J-nut. The sheet metal screw attaches to a J-nut slipped over a small tab on the back of the dash pad.  It will make sense when you fit the panel to the dash pad.

Cool, thanks for your help.

Is there any benefit to attaching it using the tabs?  Seems pretty solid to me with the other 6 screws.

Who knows what they were thinking. The instrument bezel has several gauges and uses 7 screws, 3 top and 4 bottom. The clock bezel has one pretty light clock, and 8 screws. If I were in your shoes Michael I'd do nothing.

Well after assembling the clock bezel I may have fingered out why the side mounting tabs. With the bezel insert being steel, that sucker is heavy, and they wanted more support. It's much heavier that the loaded instrument panel. 

Yeah, the clock is heavy for what it is

The instrument panel also has two side mounting tabs.  They attach to the metal lower dash.  You cannot get to them after the dash pad is installed.  So the instrument panel gets installed and attached to the lower metal dash before the dash pad gets installed.