Sign in to follow this  
TurboStangGT

Ford Remanufactured engines

After checking on a few used engines for my truck I've decided to just buy a Remanufactured engine for it. Ford has the best warranty  3 yrs. with unlimited miles and they will take my core with a cracked block with bent Rod and crank. no one else will that's $300-$400 more. anyone have any experience with a ford Remanufactured engine? wonder if it's done by Ford or if they use a outside vendor? anyone know?

I installed a Ford remanufactured 4.6L SOHC in our 96 Mustang GT.  It looked great.  The first one had a piston knock from the first fire up.  Even though I did the install the Ford dealer replaced it under warranty.  This motor has about 120K on it and it runs fine, doesn't use any oil, and has no oil or water leaks yet. I honestly don't think the lifters are replaced during the rebuilds.  The Mustang GT is a daily driver so I was pressed for time.  Otherwise I would have rebuilt the original motor.

Since yours is junk, the Ford reman is your best option for a complete crate motor.  If it is a fuel injected motor expect to also replace the intake manifold or the warranty might be void.  Also, clean the injectors and install new O-rings and inlet screens on them to help it run like a new motor. 

What motor do you have?  Is it a newer modular motor or the older pushrod 5.0L or 5.8L?  The other option is a wrecking yard motor and possibly rebuild it.  Rebuilding a wrecking yard motor might be a more viable option for the older 5.0L or 5.8L motors.