motorhead91

undercoat problems

Hey guys so im stripping the inside of my mustang down to bare metal. The trunk area and floor. The previous owner loaded it up with this undercoating thats like tar. Its such a mess. I took a wire wheel to it. The results were good but very time consuming. Trying to find a faster way and eliminate all this mess so i can spray the inside. Any advice will be much appreciated thanks

Thanks Yeah everything is removed. I tried the torch but it kinda cooks it and makes it harder to remove. If it was thicker i think that would work great. I just been been hitting it with wheel then spraying brake cleaner on it. Its doing the trick but such a mess. I wonder if they make a chemical that would work? Aircraft stripper dosent work so well on this stuff. Im trying to figure out what this material is?

your on the right track with the heat but your getting it way to hot with a torch. use a heat gun and putty knife heat a small area a little at a time try your putty knife it won't take you long to figure out how hot you should get it. the stuff will roll right off with the putty knife when you get it at the right temp. I've been doing it this way for over 30 years. the trick is to not over heat it and you will have a very little mess to clean up. if you don't have a heat gun you can buy a cheap wagner gun for $20-$25 some hair dryers get hot enough but you will burn it up before your done

I started off using a wire wheel but it took forever. I ended up used an oscillating multi tool with one of the flat scraper blades and it got the tar off in a hurry. It took me about 15min to do a huge section that would have taken me 4hrs with the wire wheel.

http://m.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-62279.html

http://m.harborfreight.com/multi-tool-blade-set-3-pc-61827.html

I used this heater that I borrowed from my painter. It was an older heater they don't use anymore. Heats up the undercoting, and scrape it off. It came off in huge chunks. Leftovers was cleaned away with degreaser.

12075557204_8aa223198e_b.jpg