TurboStangGT

restore steering wheel

picked up a deluxe steering wheel has a couple cracks. the center pad is good. thought I would try to restore it myself. it's missing the chrome band that go's around the out side of the wheel. anyone know were you can buy it? I don't know if it's metal or just chrome tape? thanks!

thanks guys. that should make it easy enough. my car came with the standard 2 spoke black wheel so I had no idea what the chrome was made of. I've collected  just  about everything else to change it over to  the deluxe interior. I have all the dark walnut dash and trim now I want to change it over to the teak wood seeing as it was built in october of 68  I'm told the early cars had the teak wood. knowing me I'll change my mind 2 or 3 times before I'm ready to put the interior in it 

its your car, you have every right to change your mind as much as you want.

My brother's rimblow wheel was restored by Rimblow Buddy. It was amazing.

I on the other hand, am convinced I can do mine myself.  

I did mine myself. It turned out good enough I am happy with it, but I have no doubt someone like Rim blow buddy would do a better job. I probably redid my "wood grain" several times before I was happy with it. Everything else was easy.

While on the subject....is there any method to the madness when cleaning out the old rim blow switch? Seems like it's a miserable job. Also, what type of black paint is used to paint the backside of the steering wheel?....and followed by what type of clear?

called the 2 big choices for rim blow restoration....Rimblow Buddy and Best in Show. It appears that only Rimblow Buddy can actually restore the woodgrain texturing. With Best in Show....you will only get a smooth woodgrain finish. Also, Rimblow Buddy uses a clear epoxy and Best of Show uses a 2 part urethane. Rimblow Buddy has a special going on right now which essentially gets you a free rim blow switch installed.