Sign in to follow this  
rodbrady

Radiator Question

The PO of my 69 coupe installed a 20" aluminum radiator with an electric fan (which sounds like a jet engine). I am in the process of changing the fan set up to a clutch fan, however, the new fan is hitting the bottom of the existing shroud. So, I'm trying to decide what to do.

I'm not sure if I can find a shroud with a larger opening for that size radiator. I've always thought the radiator looked weird with the gaps on either side of the radiator support. Would the car have had a 24" radiator originally? It's a base coupe with a 302 engine/C4 automatic. I'm not so concerned about originality as I am about functionality. 

9DA8B666-26FD-4466-B815-EA14D3AA49E2_zps

0285A83A-CF48-4314-BE32-A7B883E6E2BE_zps

FB34C484-5156-4D1E-91F3-DF8A6679B276_zps

302 with no AC would originally have a smaller 20" radiator.

I agree with try to adjust the shroud downward a little but I would also look at the engine mounts to see what condition they are in

Bob

The motor mounts seem to be in good shape. The motor was replaced by the PO a few years ago with a 1980's 302. I tried moving the shroud down, but there is a lip on the bottom of the radiator that prevents that. I may just have to shave a little off the bottom of the shroud.