det0326

Front spring perch

Hello all 

As usual I took my front suspension out 3 years ago and didn't take note which way the spring perch came out. It is a 69 mach 1 and am going back with all moog OEM replacement parts. My question is the spring perch has a tab that I assume is like a stop that the end of the last coil stops against, does this tab go to toward the engine bay or to the outside? 

Thanks for any and all replies.

Dave

Thanks guys.   Brian in your second picture is that the  tab that I can barely see? Thanks for taking time to post the pictures.

Ridgerunner    I don't know why it would go to the inside verses the outside either. I did notice with the spring sitting with the end that goes against the shock tower on a flat surface it seemed to lean a little to one side. So I'm wondering if the tab goes to the inside to properly index the spring in the proper position at the shock tower? Don't really know tho just guessing.

Dave

Not real clear on what a tab is but the picture on the left is also the left front on the car.  The picture on the right is also the right front on the car.  As I remember it the coil end stopped on the control arm as in the right picture.  Brian

Not real clear on what a tab is but the picture on the left is also the left front on the car.  The picture on the right is also the right front on the car.  As I remember it the coil end stopped on the control arm as in the right picture.  Brian

Sorry Brian I should have posted pictures to explain.  I assume in the last picture is the correct orientation of the perch. 

post-16490-0-42375200-1427049724.jpg

post-16490-0-46994200-1427049744.jpg

post-16490-0-48866800-1427049773.jpg

Those rubber bushing spring perches don't like to pivot but if they did, we could see that the curved cut out in the front of the perch is there to clear the ball joint dome as the suspension compresses. If you turn the perch around ( with the tab towards the wheel ) the perch body would hit the ball joint dome when the perch rotated. 

The brown rust dist round the perch bolt means the bolt is loose and the perch is rocking. If left alone, it will crack the upper arm if it hasn't already.

post-33155-0-75197500-1426971733.jpg