TeamPontiac79

302 Burnt valve, Lifter, or Adjustment Issue?

Hey folks, I believe I have a burnt exhaust valve on the driver's side of my 302. It's a bone stock original with 72k miles. Only thing changed internally was the timing chain. I am on the road far from home, and don't have compression/vacuum gauges available. The problem has been persistent from beforw I left, but getting worse. The ignition components are new or verified (new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, recent points/condensor, original coil). The engine has a pretty regular miss when decelerating, cruising, or accelerating lightly. It seems to go away while I accelerate spiritedly or hammer it, so under a heavy load no vacuum condition is when I don't notice it. It's also less noticeable at idle, but definitely still there. I'm also getting the characteristic popping at the tailpipe, and a piece of paper placed at the pipe shows it is actually a momentary sucking. Car has dual exhaust, and it's only doing it on the left. Is there anything other than a burnt exhaust valve that can create this condition? I'm thinking not, but wanted to toss it around here before putting a major engine service on the to-do list.

Need to do a leak down and compression test to be sure....but I did have a rocker stud start to pull out of the head on a 1970 mustang one time...was doing the same thing..easy temporary fix...beat it back down with a hammer...good luck...