TurtleRacing

Warning about Doug's Header for Coyote Swap

Let me start by saying I have purchased Doug's headers for several cars in the past all the way back to when they were Doug Thorley and they have been great headers.

The Coyote swap headers are beautiful, quality is awesome, except for the fact they hang 4" below the transmission! It's insane, I have no idea how they would work in any Mustang application, they belong in a fuel altered! I don't care what front suspension you use or what angle your motor is sitting at, 4" below your transmission is crazy! 

Unfortunately I picked the wrong suspension for this swap and it is forcing me to make my headers at this point, I could have made some mods to the Doug's headers to make them work with this front suspension if it wasn't for them hanging so low. Now they are going to be major surgery.

Buyer beware!

post-38238-0-86993300-1423325475.jpg

post-38238-0-91114300-1423325496.jpg

Turtle Racing,

Not sure if it's because you're using the Tremec 5 spd...   I'm installing the Tremec T-56 6 speed, and while I do agree they hang down some, I'm not seeing them hang down as far as you are.

I have the Rod and Custom front suspension, and you can see in the photo below that the headers are about level with the Engine crossmember.  The photo at the bottom shows that I had to raise the transmission tunnel about 1.75 inches to get the tranny up high to have my drive line angle within 4 degrees.  Maybe that moved everythign up enough for me.

I did have to do some fitment (Read dimple the header) around the motor mounts, and I had to trim one ear off the transmission.  but other than they fit well, and hug the block close, leaving room for other parts.

MG_1359.jpg

MG_1364.jpg

Level with the engine x-member is terrible! Your engine x-member is inline with your wheels, so that's fine up there. But by the time you get back to the transmission they are way too low. With my previous motor (390 FE w/FPA headers) the headers and pipes were tucked way up into the the transmission mount humps, they barely hung below the frame and they still hit ocassionally. Good luck not dragging those over ever bump you hit. 

post-38238-0-28011500-1423334063.jpg

Good thing they come uncoated (and i have not sent them off yet).  if i do need to cut them down, it wil be easy to weld back together.  Guess I get to reinstall them and check how much they impact ground clearance.

Turtle Racing:  I are you planning on running 3" all they way back or reducing to 2.5"?

Good thing they come uncoated (and i have not sent them off yet).  if i do need to cut them down, it wil be easy to weld back together.  Guess I get to reinstall them and check how much they impact ground clearance.

Turtle Racing:  I are you planning on running 3" all they way back or reducing to 2.5"?

I am planning 2.5" mostly because I have a brand new system that I bought last year, but that's the plan. You know how things change :)

I am planning 2.5" mostly because I have a brand new system that I bought last year, but that's the plan. You know how things change :)

Thanks,  i have not ordered exhaust yet, and am undecided.

I hear you on change.  As you know shoving a 21st century motor in a 46 year old car, is all about chagne.  And lots of opportunity for creative engineering :D

What angle is your motor sitting at/

I have set  it to just under 4 degrees down, measured at the intake ports on the heads (With the intake removed).  to get it there i had to raise the transmission tunnel about 1.75" a lot of that is due to the t-56 being a large transmission.