Sign in to follow this  
1969_Mach1

Carb Recoloring

I've never used it but I have looked into it before.  Your link is just for the yellow chromate... you'd need to buy one of the main kits as well.  It seems too expensive to me... everything that I can imagine replating I could buy new for less and not have to do anything.  However mostly I've looked at re-plating bolts.  I can definitely see this being used on parts that you cannot obtain new.

david

I saw where the instructions stated the yellow chromate was applied over a zinc plating.  But since the main body is already zinc, I wondered if the yellow chromate would work directly over the bare zinc main body.  It certainly doesn't appear Holley originally zinc plated the zinc main bodies then applied a Dichromate (Chromate is same, just semantics) finish.  It might be worth the gamble.

I have the Eastwood Carb Recolor.  It is Lacquer paint.  If you spray only one or two light coats to freshen some coloring it matches well.  More coats and it starts to look like a flat gold paint. It comes off with any chemical so you cannot spray it down into the venturies.  I ordered the Yellow Chromate kit from Caswell Plating.  I read through Caswell's forums and it can apparently be applied directly onto carb die cast zinc bodies.  We'll see how it works.  I have nothing to loose at this point.