Sign in to follow this  
stangnet33

Instrument/Gauge housing part # question

More curious than anything, but for those that have redone their instrument panel for a '69. Was it common to have a stamped '70 part # but have a printed '69 date? I noticed the '70 part # and was thinking that at some point a PO had replaced the main metal housing for some reason. Then after cleaning found the early '69 printed date on it. Anyone see this on theirs or else where ? 

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

More curious than anything, but for those that have redone their instrument panel for a '69. Was it common to have a stamped '70 part # but have a printed '69 date? I noticed the '70 part # and was thinking that at some point a PO had replaced the main metal housing for some reason. Then after cleaning found the early '69 printed date on it. Anyone see this on theirs or else where ? 

DSC_0391.jpg

Yes mine is same part number as yours and as for as I know is original  to the 69. If it was a 70 tho the part that fits around the steering column 

would be larger than a 69 because of the ignition switch being in the column. 

Dave

The 1970 instrument clusters will fit in a 1969 Mustang.  I have done it.  You simply have to use the 1969 plastic bezel because of the steering column difference.  If I recall, there were two additional screw mounting tabs on the center pod metal housing that didn't get used when I installed it in a 69.  So, without additional information you still cannot determine if you have a 69 part or a previous owner swapped in a 70 instrument cluster for some reason.  The date stamp may be in the time period for a year change.  If it was like when I worked on cars in the mid thru late 1980's, new models would hit the showroom around the 9th month of each year.