Sign in to follow this  
1969_Mach1

Spring Perch

Has anybody used these Scott Drake spring perches?

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C4DZ-3388-HP.aspx?wid=141

They use a synthetic elastomer bushing that allows free rotation of the Perch unlike the rubber OEM style bushings. The description states these will not squeak like a Polyurethane may. I would like to upgrade from OEM but roller perches are not in my budget.

When I look at the picture my first question is what prevents the perch from sliding side-to-side a little bit on the shaft?

My opinion, is that doesn't look like an better built version of the stock perch. It may have a better bushing material, but I don't see how it moves freely or better.

Having said that, I have no experience with that product, going off of the picture alone.

And also having said that, here is something I have learned from rebuilding my stock suspension, and power steering, twice each, before I threw it all in the trash.

Replacing the stock stuff works, for a short period of time, then you get to do it again. My replacement stock perches, and upper arms, lasted a year before they blew themselves out. I replaced everything twice. When the 3rd time came around, I save for an aftermarket coil suspension setup.

Same thing with the steering, rebuilt the gear box and valve, lasted about a year. Replaced it next time with "new" units, did not last, decided to save for a rack and pinion system. Best money I have spent on that car.

Basically what I am saying, is save up for the roller perches at the very least, and only replace them once.

I'd like the roller perches they are not in my budget right now. I can wait. Realistically, I don't drive the car enough or hard enough to need a roller perch. I get more enjoyment working on it than driving it. So I am just looking for an upgrade over the original.

The bushings in the Scott Drake perches work like a Polyurethane bushing. They are just a different material to eliminate the squeak tendency of Polyurethane. From the picture it looks like the perch can move side-to-side on the shaft which isn't good. So was hoping somebody may have some experience with them.

Funny thing. Years ago when the roller perches hit the market. A friend of mine owns a machine shop and several times I saw 30 gallon barrels full of imported OEM style spring perches. I asked why those were at his shop? His answer was he was removing the OEM rubber bushings. They are for a guy in Carmel that is going to install bearings in them. At the time I didn't realize who or what they were for.

Edited by 1969_Mach1