Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

9" Housing widths

Okay my housing is wider than the stock 69 housing and its causing some issues which arent major but I located a complete ready to run 9" for 300 bucks and the guy said it came out of a 61 T-Bird, but it was not the correct rear end for the T-Bird and the owner wanted a date code matching rear end.

He gave me a measurement of 57" from hub to Hub but said the rear was still together so I know his measurement was off some since he would have to pull over the top or across the back.

So here's my question what is the narrowest width rear we can run with a stock size aftermarket 15" wheel?

The stock width for a 69-70 housing is 59.5". The earlier cars (65-66) had a housing width of 57.5". The pads for the leaf springs should be 43" for either.

The wheel fitment will be based off of the back spacing, and width of the wheel. The "stock size aftermarket" is just a little vague and we might need a little more info in order to help. Having a housing that is (at best) 1" shorter on each side, a stock wheel (15 x 7) with a 4" ish back spacing (guessing) would fit either, but would look a little silly on a narrowed setup IMO, as it would sit way inside of the wheel housing. With the proper offset, it would work fine, and have a deeper lip, if you are into that sorta thing.

It all depends on the wheel width and back space. A 15x10 with the short back space of around 3-3/4 ish might work. I'd measure what is on your car now, distance from tire to leaf spring and also wheel house, and the distance from tire to wheel opening lip. You'll also need the back space on your wheels. Then do the math.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Well as my car sits not the rear axle if I recall is 1-3/4" wider than the factory width for our cars and this worked out with my 20" wheels for the better because of the BS.

However my new rims which are made to fit the 90s model mustangs are close to the fender lips but im rolled so it works but I do have a slight amount of rubbing on the Pass side.

My thought was that since I have a good 2-3 inches from springs to tire the narrower rear end would help me out.

gonna need to take some measurements tho