Sign in to follow this  
Happystang

Wheels!

Decided on the Coy C67 or Ultra 454 wheels for my '69 convertible.

I'm getting 17x8 for the front and 17x9 for the back. Now, here's the problem.

Ultra brand only makes a 17x8 and it has a 4.25 backspace. From what I've read you want more backspace to stuff the wheels further into the wheel well.

Coy's have have a 4.75 inch back spacing for the 17x8 and 5.5 inch for the 17x9 wheels. This is ideal, no? More backspacing?

I have 4.5 leaf mid eye springs in the back. My suspension is just slightly lower than stock, still a decent wheel gap with the 15x7 wheels I have now.

Coy's are more expensive and have to be ordered from the manufacturer directly, person I spoke to said it would be 2 weeks till it got to my house. The Ultra's from what I've seen will fit, but they're not as tucked in as I'd like into the wheel wells.

I found this article with a '69 fastback that has the 17x8 and 17x9 combo that I'm looking into. However don't the fastbacks have wider quarter panels vs the coupe and convertible?

Page 2 - Daytona Mustang Club - 1969 Ford Mustang - Modified Mustangs & Fords

And as for tires, would a 275 be asking for too much out back?

Coy C67:

Coy's Custom Wheel & Tire

Ultra 454:

Ultra Wheel 454-7865SU, Ultra 454 Grey w/ Diamond Cut RWD Wheels | Ultra Wheel

Pretty much the exact same design.

Decided on the Coy C67 or Ultra 454 wheels for my '69 convertible.

I'm getting 17x8 for the front and 17x9 for the back. Now, here's the problem.

Ultra brand only makes a 17x8 and it has a 4.25 backspace. From what I've read you want more backspace to stuff the wheels further into the wheel well.

Coy's have have a 4.75 inch back spacing for the 17x8 and 5.5 inch for the 17x9 wheels. This is ideal, no? More backspacing?

I have 4.5 leaf mid eye springs in the back. My suspension is just slightly lower than stock, still a decent wheel gap with the 15x7 wheels I have now.

Coy's are more expensive and have to be ordered from the manufacturer directly, person I spoke to said it would be 2 weeks till it got to my house. The Ultra's from what I've seen will fit, but they're not as tucked in as I'd like into the wheel wells.

I found this article with a '69 fastback that has the 17x8 and 17x9 combo that I'm looking into. However don't the fastbacks have wider quarter panels vs the coupe and convertible?

Page 2 - Daytona Mustang Club - 1969 Ford Mustang - Modified Mustangs & Fords

And as for tires, would a 275 be asking for too much out back?

Coy C67:

Coy's Custom Wheel & Tire

Ultra 454:

Ultra Wheel 454-7865SU, Ultra 454 Grey w/ Diamond Cut RWD Wheels | Ultra Wheel

Pretty much the exact same design.

Not sure exactly what your question is.

As for tire widths on the 69/70, I have two sets of wheels and tires, and may have some information that could help you.

Please note that cars vary on their tire tolerances, due to manufacturing variations, prior accident repairs, even between identical models. The older they are, the more chance you may have problems.

This is my 70 coupe with 10 inch Ansen rears wearing 275/60/15 BFG's

IMG00452-20120912-2119.jpg

They fit, - JUST- inside the guards with about 3/4 inch clearance inside to the springs/mounts, whatever. I have never had tire rub with these tires, although you can see it is is stock height, no lowering.

the tires are as wide as I will go. I know others have wider tires with no rubbing apparently, but my advice is that 275 will fit without issues.

Backspacing - rear.;

Please read carefully , so I don't confuse the issue !

I have a 3 inch shortened rear. Meaning each side is 1.5 inches shorter than stock. My backspace for both sets of wheels is 3.25 inches. The Ansens are old and were on the car when I got it. The Magnum 500;s I had customized for 3.25 bachspace.

Now, add the 1.5 inch for my particular rear, and you have a backspace of 4.75 inches.

That is a figure I believe will work for you.

The Magnum 500 wheels are 15x8 inch, and lets just call it 4.75 backspace, (for your application)

I run 255/60/15 BFG's on that wheel and it fits fine, looks right. It is well inside the guard but looks 'right'

As stated, and as you can see in the photo, the 275's are a complete fill on the guard, and look dramatic in comparison.

I have a couple cars with 17 inch wheels. There is no room for error with sizing on the larger WHEELS. Make sure you don't go for bigger wheels and tires unless you have test fit and driven on a set the same size. 275 on your 69 Mustang is right on the edge of issue-free fitting.

I hope this is somewhat close to what you are concerned about.

I have a track style car with 330's on the rear (Nitto 555's) on 17x12's, and whilst they look great, it really is not just tires that makes it so fun to drive. It is the 4.30 gears, the Detroit full locker, the built T56, the McLeod dual clutch, and the fully forged 500 rwhp LT1 engine.

Don't get too hung up on the biggest wheels and tires you can shoehorn in the wells. For safety reasons alone, you want to be absolutely certain you will not get big rubs on your tires during 'spirited' driving. Just when you don't need a blow out.

Keep it sensible and problem-free.

Another piece of possibly unwanted advice.

Front - max sizing. 225 width for tire. Max 7 inch wheel

Rear - max 275 tire, and 10 inch wheel . 265 on a 9 inch wheel.

Needless to say, I think the 5.5 inch BS on your 9 inch Coys will be one full inch too deep, you will be rubbing the inner wheelwell and/or springs.

Remember I fit a 10 inch wheel in mine with 4.75 BS and there was really no room either side. (Inner or outer) The wider you go, the more critical the tolerances.

Because I think you will have big rub issues with the 5.5 BS, I hope you will take the time and effort to go to a decent tire retailer and have some test fitting done before ordering expensive wheels. Hate to see you hung up with problems.

Not sure exactly what your question is.

As for tire widths on the 69/70, I have two sets of wheels and tires, and may have some information that could help you.

Please note that cars vary on their tire tolerances, due to manufacturing variations, prior accident repairs, even between identical models. The older they are, the more chance you may have problems.

This is my 70 coupe with 10 inch Ansen rears wearing 275/60/15 BFG's

IMG00452-20120912-2119.jpg

They fit, - JUST- inside the guards with about 3/4 inch clearance inside to the springs/mounts, whatever. I have never had tire rub with these tires, although you can see it is is stock height, no lowering.

the tires are as wide as I will go. I know others have wider tires with no rubbing apparently, but my advice is that 275 will fit without issues.

Backspacing - rear.;

Please read carefully , so I don't confuse the issue !

I have a 3 inch shortened rear. Meaning each side is 1.5 inches shorter than stock. My backspace for both sets of wheels is 3.25 inches. The Ansens are old and were on the car when I got it. The Magnum 500;s I had customized for 3.25 bachspace.

Now, add the 1.5 inch for my particular rear, and you have a backspace of 4.75 inches.

That is a figure I believe will work for you.

The Magnum 500 wheels are 15x8 inch, and lets just call it 4.75 backspace, (for your application)

I run 255/60/15 BFG's on that wheel and it fits fine, looks right. It is well inside the guard but looks 'right'

As stated, and as you can see in the photo, the 275's are a complete fill on the guard, and look dramatic in comparison.

I have a couple cars with 17 inch wheels. There is no room for error with sizing on the larger WHEELS. Make sure you don't go for bigger wheels and tires unless you have test fit and driven on a set the same size. 275 on your 69 Mustang is right on the edge of issue-free fitting.

I hope this is somewhat close to what you are concerned about.

I have a track style car with 330's on the rear (Nitto 555's) on 17x12's, and whilst they look great, it really is not just tires that makes it so fun to drive. It is the 4.30 gears, the Detroit full locker, the built T56, the McLeod dual clutch, and the fully forged 500 rwhp LT1 engine.

Don't get too hung up on the biggest wheels and tires you can shoehorn in the wells. For safety reasons alone, you want to be absolutely certain you will not get big rubs on your tires during 'spirited' driving. Just when you don't need a blow out.

Keep it sensible and problem-free.

Another piece of possibly unwanted advice.

Front - max sizing. 225 width for tire. Max 7 inch wheel

Rear - max 275 tire, and 10 inch wheel . 265 on a 9 inch wheel.

Needless to say, I think the 5.5 inch BS on your 9 inch Coys will be one full inch too deep, you will be rubbing the inner wheelwell and/or springs.

Remember I fit a 10 inch wheel in mine with 4.75 BS and there was really no room either side. (Inner or outer) The wider you go, the more critical the tolerances.

Because I think you will have big rub issues with the 5.5 BS, I hope you will take the time and effort to go to a decent tire retailer and have some test fitting done before ordering expensive wheels. Hate to see you hung up with problems.

don't the fastbacks have wider quarter panels vs the coupe and convertible?

No.

the boss cars had 15 x 7" rims with F70 tires . . the front fenders were rolled so the tires wouldn't catch the fender lip.

245 x 60 - 15 tires are 26.9 wide x 9.7 tread and on 15 x 7 4.25 backspace rims, they will hit the fender lips if they are not rolled.

Edited by barnett468