Sign in to follow this  
rodbrady

Lower Control Arm Dumb Question

So, this is probably going to be a dumb question, but I started installing the suspension today and notice that the Moog lower control arms each come with 2 large washers/bushings. I'm not sure what they are for? (see left of pins in photo)

3078-3c.jpg

These washers are needed to attach a sway bar to the control arm. I think they are technically called anti-sway bars. The two large cup shaped washers go in that large diameter hole. One on the top and one on the bottom side of the control arm. You will notice the shoulder at the small diameter side of the washers fit into the hole on the control arm. The sway bar end link bushings fit into the cup shape of these washers. If you have no sway bar save the washers for possible future use. But, a sway bar is a big help to reduce body lean when cornering.

That's what I suspected they were for. I guess some arms come with them pre-attached (Scott Drake), while others leave them separate (Moog).

One more question. When I installed the LCAs and torque to spec (75-100), they are very difficult to swing up and down, unlike the ones I pulled off, which were very loose. I assume that's just because the bushing are new and tight?

That is correct. Don't tighten the bolt down until you have let the car back down on the ground and jumped up and down on the suspension to 'settle' the suspension and then tighten it down when the car is a ride height.

Exactly what Cruzzar said. Make sure the car is on the ground as it normally sits when you tighten that bolt. Hard to do on the ground but it must be that way because the rubber bushing is designed to twist and return as the control arm moves and not designed to slip inside the sleeves. If the rubber breaks loose from the sleeves it is pressed into you can have a horrible squeak.

Edited by 1969_Mach1