Sign in to follow this  
69me

wiring question

does anyone know what the yellow wire and the blue with a yellow stripe wire are for in the steering column harness on a 69 stang? thanks, mike

Hello and welcome to the forum if you haven't been yet.

The yellow wire appears to be the horn feed circuit.

I don't see a blue with yellow but I see a blue with orn strip could this be the wire you speak of. If so it goes to the right rear turn signal.

Here is a link to a diagram courtesy of prayers1

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=14352&page=2&highlight=gauge

Dave

Edited by det0326

Yellow wire is incoming horn power; blue/yellow is outgoing horn signal.

Hello Midlife

Just a question for you. When I said that the yellow wire goes to the horn

then you posted that the yellow is the horn power I decided to take another look now I am totally confused. you are correct I am not saying your not but when I look at the yellow wire on my harness and the corresponding pin on the diagram it goes to the horn is this an error on this particular diagram ? So after taking a second look I traced the yellow wire on my harness (which I have out of the car) and it goes to the headlight switch where I assume it picks up its 12 volt source. I could be looking at the plug wrong or something I don't know but was just wondering if the diagram is wrong and if so how many more errors does it have. When you have time to look and check this out to clarify it for me it would be much appreciated. The diagram is the one I have a link to in my post above.

Thanks

Solid yellow runs from the headlight switch to the turn signal switch, and is the power to the horn switch in the steering wheel. The outgoing signal is on a blue/yellow or rarely a yellow/blue (mostly in 71-73's) wire that goes to the green connector on the back of the fuse box.

The wiring diagrams you are referring to are from Chilton's, and they leave a lot to be desired. The Osborne Electrical Assembly Manuals (about $20) are much better, and the Wiring Diagram Manuals are OK but not always complete. Both are available from your favorite catalog store.

Solid yellow runs from the headlight switch to the turn signal switch, and is the power to the horn switch in the steering wheel. The outgoing signal is on a blue/yellow or rarely a yellow/blue (mostly in 71-73's) wire that goes to the green connector on the back of the fuse box.

The wiring diagrams you are referring to are from Chilton's, and they leave a lot to be desired. The Osborne Electrical Assembly Manuals (about $20) are much better, and the Wiring Diagram Manuals are OK but not always complete. Both are available from your favorite catalog store.

Thanks a bunch