Sign in to follow this  
sidstang

Will 76 302 engine fit in 69 Mustang using original wiring harness?

I have a 69 Mustang with a 302 engine that's no good. I'm looking to buy a 1976 302 and am wondering if I can use the same wiring harness from my 69? Are there any other mods I need to know about?

Thanks!

Sid

I have a 69 Mustang with a 302 engine that's no good. I'm looking to buy a 1976 302 and am wondering if I can use the same wiring harness from my 69? Are there any other mods I need to know about?

Thanks!

Sid

Unless your getting a good deal on the 1976 motor, you might want to consider a 1985 or newer 302. Only because 1985 and newer 302 blocks are hydraulic roller cam compatible. Lastly, if you have a manual trans with stock clutch linkage, the newer blocks do not have the threaded boss for the bell crank pivot and you would need the retrofit bracket for it. NPD and other Mustang parts stores sell it.

Unless your getting a good deal on the 1976 motor, you might want to consider a 1985 or newer 302. Only because 1985 and newer 302 blocks are hydraulic roller cam compatible. Lastly, if you have a manual trans with stock clutch linkage, the newer blocks do not have the threaded boss for the bell crank pivot and you would need the retrofit bracket for it. NPD and other Mustang parts stores sell it.

Use your intake,carb, dist., water pump,alt., and alt./ps brackets. Depending on what it came out of you may also need to use your oil pan and pick up tube. Your wiring will work.

Wow! I don't have all of those pieces. Would I be able to install the 76 motor and use an engine wiring harness for the 76 and plug & play?

Use your intake,carb, dist., water pump,alt., and alt./ps brackets. Depending on what it came out of you may also need to use your oil pan and pick up tube. Your wiring will work.

Wow! I don't have all of those pieces. Would I be able to install the 76 motor and use an engine wiring harness for the 76 and plug & play?

Your car had points, the 76 has elec. ing. you could use the dist. with a msd box and buy a alt. for the 69 then you should be good if you have all the pulleys and brackets from the 76, just make sure the oil pan is a front sump. The alt from the 76 may work with your 69 harness.

Edited by zstang