Sign in to follow this  
Tony Coupe-r

TCI Streetfighter Shifter Installation / Mounting

*Bump*

I'm interested in this too. Wcooper02, if you find any info on this elsewhere, I'd appreciate it. Will do the same for you if I come across anything.

Edit- Forgot to mention, I'll be using a 4r70w in my build.

@MikeStang - I've researched those too, but there seems to be a lot of dislike for those shifters. I thought they looked nice but I read complaints about the quality, performance, and how some of them felt loose with side play, or would stick in the shifting action. How is yours working out for you? Did relocating it help? I can still do that at this stage of the build. I'll second DarkBuddha's request for pics.

I like the unique look of the StreetFighter 05-09 Ford Mustang Ratchet Shifter (there is also a model for the 2010-2012 Mustang) but I don't know enough about modifying the transmission linkage yet to make it work with the 4r70w. The '05-'09 shifter is meant for a 5R55S which I will have to do some research on. Hopefully I can find some guidance somewhere. If not, I will probably end up going with the B&M Hammer.

I have owned nothing but B&M shifters for over 15 years now and have never had an issue with any of them.

This is the first Hammer model I have had and it was a bit stiff when I got it but after some use and a little lube its slick as any of the others.

they are made to have some looseness in there because they have a few moving parts but the quality is there and the shifts are positive.

You will need to order the transmission bracket and linkage to use a B&M which is another 60 bucks but its worth it.

It comes with a new shifter arm to put in the transmission and the correct bracket to bolt to the side of the trans so you dont have to fab any brackets up.

Ill post yall a pic of the shifter installed and the console I built but havent covered yet.

The 1st pic if of the new B&M shift rod and the bolt on bracket that attaches to the rod.

I dont have a photo of the actual bracket that goes on the transmission

2nd pic is the shifter installed.

I drilled 4 holes and put bolts with nuts. Easy to do if you use the existing hole for the shifter to reach through haha.

If you order a shifter be sure to get one that has the cable coming out of the front.

I just installed my seats then moved the shifter around till I got it where I liked the feel of it.

I like to cruise with my elbow on the console and hand on the shifter head and that's where I mounted it.

You may have to use a few washers under the body to make it sit level on the floor but that's part of it.

All in all i'm very happy

Thanks for posting the pics Mike. I was thinking of getting one of the fox body console Hammer shifters (especially when I can get one for $115 brand new). The stock fox body shifter is very very similar to our shifters in design and dimensions, so I was going to see if it could fit the stock '70 Mach console. The only issue is that I don't like that the Hammer requires ratcheting to all positions (vs the Starshifter, which allows shifting directly to any position from park and then ratcheting to any other position).

Can't provide an opinion on the TCI Streetfighter shifter specifically, but I ran a B&M Megashifter on my previous 69 with a C4 (ironically, it was a TCI Streetfighter C4 trans though). Shifter install was simple and straightforward, similar to what Mike said. Bolt it down, run the cable, adjust to suit your needs, and done.

Also ran a megashifter in my dirt track race car. Worked like a champ, and took a LOT of abuse.

The hammer works like the Quick Silver does...lift the spoon on the front with your finger tips and pull the lever back into either R, N, or D...when you hit drive you just click it back 2 times for 1st. its super easy and fast.

you dont have to hold the spoon up either just lift to get it out of park then its free use.

Now once its in Drive and you wanna go to park you do lift the spoon but thats just like any car.

The only think I dont like about the 4R70W is that you only can manually shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd then the computer takes control for the 3-4 shift lol.

But oh well...Really I think the hammer and the quicksilver are the same shifter but the hammer has the leather boot lol.

The hammer I bought was the Universal with front cable exit.

I was also considering trying one of hte Fox body units but I dont like the fact that the Stock shifter location is so far forward which requires me to lean forward to use the shifter.... I wanted it right in the palm of my hand

Thanks. This is all good info. Ok MikeStang, now I have more questions for you.

Are you using the Baumannator TCS controller for your 4R70W? That's what I have right now. It's not installed yet, I am still overhauling the transmission.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but when you say you can only shift manually 1-2, and 2-3, that's when you've ratcheted out of drive right? In other words, if I'm in drive cruising around town normally, it should operate normally right?

You said you bought the Universal with front cable exit. When I looked into the Hammer I found that Summit had one specifically for the AODE (maybe comes with the additional hardware?). Did you feel it was better to go with the universal setup?

Thanks for posting the pics. I'll be interested in seeing your console since I may be doing my own custom console later.

And apologies to wcooper02. I didn't mean to turn your TCI thread into a B&M Hammer thread. I sent a request to TCI for some info on their shifter. If I ever hear back from them I will relay the info.

Your correct when you put it in Drive it will operate normally and when you snatch the stick back 2 times it goes into 1st gear ratchet mode.

I am using the Bauman Optishift which is the older version of the Baumanator.

Its the exact same thing but I guess as they upgraded systems they changed the name.

It works perfectly and I just use 1 table on it.

I will suggest if your running a Holley Carb to get Holley's TPS kit as it works perfectly.

I believe I got the 130-80885 Model hammer shifter.

Like I said I didnt wanna use teh stock hole and I knew I could make a universal one work.

When you buy the 4R70W B&M kit it comes with the correct trans bracket .

Part Number is 40504

http://www.bmracing.com/products/quick-search-results

/?query=Bracket%20and%20lever%20kit,%204R70W%20Automatic%20Transmission

Thanks for the clarification on the Hammer operation Mike. It sounds very very usable for my purposes. I agree about the stock shifter location being too far forward, but I'd already planned on extending the shifter arm to give it a bit of a 4 speed look.