Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Virgin Brake System - Bleeding Gravity Fed

I would like to get some advice from the folks that know about bleeding brakes, the Gravity Fed way.

I have a new master cylinder, vacuum power brake booster, new proportion valve, brand new brake lines all for a 4 disc set up. Everything for the brake system is brand new.

Already bought DOT3 fluid, clear plastic tubing to witness the fluid flow, clear plastic bottle and have worked up the nerve to do this.

Plan on starting at the rear passenger side first, rear drivers side second, front passenger side third and then the drivers side last.

Thanks

if it was me (personal choices),

First off I would used DOT4+ synthetic . Why? lasts longer if car is not driven daily. DOT3 after 3-4 years partial use of vehicle will "swell" and loose it's efficiency some quote.

Second make yourself a "pressurized" bleeder using a lawn pump can from Tru Value or Home Depot and an extra MC cap. I've been bleeding brakes this way for years by myself... very easy and no pedal pushing, pumping or screaming to helper. To give you an idea what I'm talking about look at this video...

I just used a stock MC cap and plugged the relief hole in the back to make it work...

3rd... you are about 1hr 15 min from me... stop over and if you want to and I'll loan ya my set up...

if it was me (personal choices),

first off i would used dot4+ synthetic . Why? Lasts longer if car is not driven daily. Dot3 after 3-4 years partial use of vehicle will "swell" and loose it's efficiency some quote.

Second make yourself a "pressurized" bleeder using a lawn pump can from tru value or home depot and an extra mc cap. I've been bleeding brakes this way for years by myself... Very easy and no pedal pushing, pumping or screaming to helper. To give you an idea what i'm talking about look at this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdcn1usvq-w

i just used a stock mc cap and plugged the relief hole in the back to make it work...

3rd... You are about 1hr 15 min from me... Stop over and if you want to and i'll loan ya my set up...

pm sent

+1 on the silicone fluid. Will not affect paint like DOT 3 fluid. For me its not if

you spill it, I spilled plenty and no damage to paint. After all the work we do

to paint and detail engine compartment and under carriage its a shame to ruin

it with brake fluid

Did not notice difference in pedal as some state. Also use it in my clutch.

make sure you have a disc/disc master. It should not have residual valves.

check the clearance between the master and the brake rod. It should be between .015” and .025”.

bench bleed the master as suggested but do it with the front of the master pointing upward a little.

Let each brake bleed for around 2 minutes. Check the reservoir during bleeding to insure it does not run out of fluid.