Sign in to follow this  
jgkurz

Woodgrain Insert

Hi All, I am changing my console to a 4spd setup and need a new woodgrain insert. I have looked at CJ Pony, Laurel, and NPD, but nothing is a perfect match. The car was built Feb 69. My dash seems to have a slightly different tone vs. the door panels and and current console insert. Do I have Light Teak, Dark Teak, or Walnut interior?

IMG_3878_zps8492295c.jpg

I'm not certain about your wood grain discrepancy. In your picture there is definitely a difference between the dash, and door panel and console inserts. On a side note, in a pinch your automatic console will work with a 4 speed. Mine is set up that way in a 1969 Mach 1. Years ago I was told by Perogie Enterprises that even thought they are different, the automatic console will work with a 4 speed but the 4 speed console will not work with an automatic.

Fron the pics, I think you have walnut woodgrain. I was only aware of walnut and teak options. Maybe there were three woodgrain options in 69? Its not uncommon to have them mismatched either from panel swaps or variations in fading due to UV exposure or age. I think best way to remedy is to recover the instrument and clock panels with Di Noc provided the doors and console are closer to original color.

My cars trim code is 3A and is for a early, 9/19/68, Metuchen car. In the pictures the dash, clock and door panels are Teak. The console insert is Walnut and is incorrect. The correct teak insert was not available until recently. You seem to have Walnut door and console inserts and Teak on the dash assemblies. Check your Trim code early is likely 3A Teak and later probably 3AA Walnut. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

The Marti Mustangs and Cougars tagbook indicates that 3DA is for Mach 1 High Back Bucket seat, Dark red knitted and dark wood grain on door panel. So not so really clear cut. Your present interior is no longer dark red knitted. Maybe see what some of the other guys can come up with ? Make the call yourself ? Brian

Edited by Brian Conway