Sign in to follow this  
mustangmike6996

Urgent help with an alternator

I have a 69 with a 302. I was told that the 2G alternator would fit. I am doing a new American Autowire harness and Spal cooling fan so an alternator with an internal regulator only seems fitting.

I went to bolt the alt in and it fits the brackets great........except the battery positive stud hits my Edlebrock Perf RPM head.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

You have to "Clock" the alternator cover. I had to do this as a lot of other people too. Just unbolt the cover and spin it 180*. Be sure you do not pull the cover apart too far or the spring loaded brushes will come out. It's pretty simple and takes just 10 minutes.

The 2G is not so desireable due to the plastic plug corroding and catching on fire. This is why everyone goes to the 3G with the internal regulator. Some have fitment and clocking issues which are easily overcome with the right model selection.

They are now remanufacturing the 1G with the internal regulator making it a 1 wire hook up.

Another option, You can also rebuild the 1G with the old wiring to 100 amp output but you still need to upgrade the main wire to the battery.