Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Windshield and Rear Glass Removal and Installation

Hey Friends, I’ve been collecting parts and preparing my shop for a rotisserie style restoration on my 69 Mach for almost two years now. The car has been in storage since 1985....yes, 1985! I have long awaited these coming days. I will be doing all the mechanicals, electrical, and interior, but will sub out most of the paint and body. In all this, I have been researching a plethora of different aspects of the restoration. That said, I need “how to†information on removal and installation of the windshield and rear glass. I’ve been all over the web and have not found a clear and concise outline on this. For me, video would be best. The glass is all original and I do not want to break it. Can someone advise?

Thanks,

John

Use a razor to cut the rubber on the rear glass. Put the blade between the glass and seal parallel to the glass . Cut all the way around ,peel away the rubber and gently start working the glass out from the inside. Windshield is glued(urethane) in. Very tough to get out without breaking but can be done. Harbor freight sells a tool for around 10$ that is made for that. Check you tube for removal videos.

Unless your glass is in pristine condition I'd consider replacing it. if you're doing a rotisserie restoration putting glass in thats has scratches will take away from the car.

Getting the back glass out is not too hard. I did the same process as magician. I have it stored in a rack in the garage but will most likely not use it. I haven't taken out my windshield yet.