Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

pedal assembly

Im converting my brakes from manual drum to power disc.

The new booster has studs that go thru the firewall and have nuts on from the inside of the car.

My pedal assembly has threaded inserts so it wont work.

Can i just take out the inserts and use or do i need to look for a different assembly.

Im not sure if there are any other differences in the manual or power assembly.

You can drill out the threads on the mount from the engine side and attach the brake booster to your original bracket. I did this with my engine bay empty. Probably more difficult - but possible, with the engine installed. You do have to secure a power-brake pedal as 69RavenConv mentioned above. Don't forget the gasket between the firewall and brake booster, NPD sells them for about $10.

Stu

Drill out the mounts from the engine side.

Get a die grinder and willow out the threaded inserts a bit more and then you can pop them out of the bracket from under the dash using a screwdriver.

This can be done with the engine in. I have done it many times.

The pedal is different so you will need that but it will mount in the bracket you have and can be installed with the bracket in the car

Bob

Sorry i should have mentioned that this is a full restoration that im doing.

Just put a new firewall in and have all the brake/clutch pedal assembly out of the car already.

So i just take the inserts out and im good to go then?

The new setup i purchased was a complete kit from masterpower brakes (rallye series) that came with a different brake pedal and i believe it gets mounted in the hole higher up on the assembly.

Edited by 70fastbak

Sorry i should have mentioned that this is a full restoration that im doing.

Just put a new firewall in and have all the brake/clutch pedal assembly out of the car already.

So i just take the inserts out and im good to go then?

The new setup i purchased was a complete kit from masterpower brakes (rallye series) that came with a different brake pedal and i believe it gets mounted in the hole higher up on the assembly.

Yes, and yes

Bob